Director of PR
CommonBond is building the leading values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and is looking for people who want to help our company grow. Our mission starts by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high-touch customer service. Additionally, our 1-for-1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child in need for a full year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
We are looking for the newest addition to our marketing team to lead and shape our public relations and communications strategy. The Director of PR is a critical role that will be instrumental in supporting our company’s rapid growth. You’ll wear several exciting hats from developing our PR strategy and executing tactical plans to writing content and communicating the CommonBond value proposition. You will deliver high-impact PR campaigns leveraging proven media and influencer relationships.
In terms of your background, you have experience both driving a PR strategy and executing on plans, with significant success in securing impactful stories in influential consumer publications. You likely have experience working with financial services brands and are passionate about the positive impact they can have in people’s lives. You ideally have deep experience working with executive spokespeople and a prior life at a high-growth company or experience in agency environment supporting high-growth companies. Key tasks the Director of PR will take on include crafting and communicating company messages, writing product messages and press releases, and overseeing media relations and outreach.
You’ve proven yourself to be the upmost overachiever, in all likelihood, amongst companies full of ambitious overachievers. This is critical as driving brand awareness and press coverage will not be easy, but you will be expected to find a way to drive quality results faster than your peer set. You are conscientious about doing what you say you will do and are committed to doing your part to help us all meet our collective goals.
You have a history of success because you simply find a way to make things happen. You have a bias for immediate action and an uncanny instinct for channeling it effectively. Tomorrow is too late; yesterday is always on time. You’re good at what you do, and you know it because the results are on your side. But you’re also humble, and you’re looking to focus your talents on something you believe in.
CommonBond is a fast-paced, exciting environment where new opportunities emerge everyday, and the Director of PR will be an early hire on a growing team at an innovative company that is on the cusp of scale. You will be a core reason the company scales.
As the leader for PR and communications, you will leverage your experience, media contacts, and positive attitude to take on key responsibilities including:
- Developing and executing CommonBond’s press & communications strategy
- Owning top-level media contacts and developing corporate-wide stories to seek high-impact business press coverage and features
- Writing and editing communications materials, including blog posts, press releases, media alerts, collateral materials, and thought leadership pieces
- Managing media interviews for senior executives, including television, radio, global print/broadcast media and all trade publications
- Fostering new relationships and bringing new press contacts to CommonBond on an ongoing basis
- Acting as a key company ambassador and building relationships with press, bloggers, and other influencers
- Working with our customers to identify narratives and ways to bring their stories to life
- Acting as the senior communications expert for the company, including for executive leadership and management, and serving as a public spokesperson
- Identifying speaking opportunities and applying for industry awards to increase CommonBond’s presence
- Monitoring high visibility and business-building awards programs and managing company entries
- Conducting crisis communications and issues management as required
- Monitoring industry news calendars, as well as market-related news and events, to assess proactive opportunities for media outreach
- Experience – 5 to 10 years of PR experience with high-growth companies. Consumer finance experience a strong plus
- Media Relationships – Exceptional media, influencer and event relationships, with the track record to back it up
- Written & Oral Communication – You are well spoken with an ability to explain complex topics clearly and concisely. You're equally comfortable writing a press release or a thought leadership piece that stays on-strategy and on-brand
- Roll-up-your-sleeves mentality – We’re a small team and everyone, including our executive team, gets their hands dirty to get stuff done
- Expert multi-tasking – You’ll be managing several projects simultaneously, continuously making sure that what ships is of the upmost quality. You will remain undaunted, organized and juggle these tasks without letting the ball drop. You will know how to ruthlessly prioritize your time
- Professional but not stuffy – We’re sharp and competent but also fun
- Team player – You want to be relied upon and you understand how others make your goals achievable
- Sense of urgency – You want to “go, move, make things happen, and shake things up!”
- Bachelor’s degree required
Meet Some of CommonBond's Employees
Acquisition Marketing Analyst
Marco reports on business details to ramp up marketing efforts across the board. He helps the team get the most from its campaigns without breaking the bank.
Back to top