CommonBond is building the leading values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and is looking for people who want to help our company grow. Our mission starts by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high-touch customer service. Additionally, our 1-for-1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child in need for a full year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
We are looking for an experienced Creative Director to lead our Design team. We are seeking a design visionary who embraces taking on a mix of visual design and direction, team & project management, and hands-on design work. You will lead a talented team of 2-3 designers and 1 copywriter to bring the CommonBond brand to life across web, print, and offline. You will be responsible for brainstorming creative concepts with the design and marketing teams and develop original advertising campaigns. You will also work closely with product managers and a UX designer on the company’s site and application design to bring the brand to life clearly and in a differentiated manner. You are a strong communicator who can express your ideas clearly, not just visually in your designs, but also in presentations, meetings, and pitches. You embrace and enjoys a player-coach role where you are both team lead as well as individual contributor.
In terms of your background, you’ve built and led creative teams at an ad agency or an in-house creative department, and have experience in branding. You will develop creative for cross-channel and/or direct-marketing initiatives across a variety of media, both online and off. You are also a true creative manager – you can manage your team’s priorities, set department goals, and review/approve all creative developed by the team to ensure the highest standards are met. Your team is responsible for showing the world that CommonBond is not only an authority in fintech and personal finance, but a financial services company that values design and user experience. This role reports into our Chief Marketing Officer.
- Lead our Design team to deliver high quality, consistent, and stand-out creative to cross-functional partners including Marketing, Business Development, and Product. Deliverables will include marketing campaigns, landing pages, print collateral, site design, and one-off assets. We’re building a financial services company for a new generation and our design is a core piece of the brand we’re bring to consumers.
- Team management: this includes regular touchbases with your team, provide day-to-day feedback and mentorship to help the team grow professionally.
- Help develop a new visual language for our relatively young brand, while also interpreting existing visual language into new materials.
- Ensure all deliverables from the team are consistently on-brand and present a standout visual identity for the company
- Project manage all requests coming into the department. Manage resource allocation for various projects. Keep all parties up-to-date on project timing and status. Conduct effective meetings with project stakeholders to understand project requirements, present work, and gather feedback
- Maintain our internal style guide and update it as our brand’s visual and verbal identity evolves.
- Work fluidly across print and digital designs, ranging from printed marketing collateral, social media, email, digital ads, & landing page updates
- Work with Business Development team to understand sales team’s collateral needs to sell into new partners and activate existing partners.
- Take concepts from ideation to finished designs with feedback/direction from multiple stakeholders
- Written & Oral Communication –you are well spoken with an ability to explain complex topics clearly and concisely. You're comfortable communicating verbally, email, Slack, etc. You’re someone who can communicate effectively with different functional team members (creatives and non-creatives).
- Roll-up-your-sleeves mentality – We’re a small team and everyone, including our executive team, gets their hands dirty to get stuff done
- Expert multi-tasking – You’ll be managing several projects simultaneously, continuously making sure that what ships is of the upmost quality. You will remain undaunted, organized and juggle these tasks without letting the ball drop. You will know how to ruthlessly prioritize your time
- Professional but not stuffy – We’re sharp and competent but also fun
- Team player – You want to be relied upon and you understand how others make your goals achievable
- Sense of urgency – You want to “go, move, make things happen, and shake things up!”
- A well-rounded portfolio of client/product work with clear examples of work you took from ideation to execution personally.
- Experience designing for web with a focus on mobile. Experience designing multi-page websites from scratch.
- Experience designing for print and digital. Out-of-home experience a plus.
- Expert in the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- 8+ years’ in design & branding. Agency experience is a plus.
- 2+ years managing a team, including team members’ project management
- UX/UI experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
Meet Some of CommonBond's Employees
Acquisition Marketing Analyst
Marco reports on business details to ramp up marketing efforts across the board. He helps the team get the most from its campaigns without breaking the bank.
Back to top