Principal Data Scientist
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Do you want to work on unlocking the true power of big data?
Are you ready to go beyond classic predictive analytics and machine learning to newer areas like deep learning and micro-contextual analytics to obtain fundamentally new business insights from petabytes of behavioral data?
Join the Comcast Big Data Science Team to work in a dynamic, startup-like environment with the resource backing of one of the world's largest companies.
What you will be doing:
- The Data Scientist will be diving into huge, noisy, and complex real-world behavioral data to produce innovative analysis and new types of predictive models of customer behaviors and TV product performance
- Unleashing your creativity to find hidden gems that improve our understanding of TV and internet that will drive actionable business decisions
- Collaborating with executive leaders and business owners, the Data Scientist will be leading teammates to solve business problems using broad spectrum of data science tools, packages and visualization techniques
- Using your deep knowledge of the big data ecosystem to build efficient and scalable analytical solutions
- Discovering and implementing new tools and technologies to keep current with the trends and advances in the data science community
- Serving as a subject matter expert in the capabilities of Data Science.
- Working closely with data and software architects to operationalize obtained analytical solutions and create analytical/business intelligence products.
What you need for this position:
- Expert knowledge of machine learning, data mining and natural language processing algorithms with special emphasis on advanced algorithms like neural networks, SVM, random forests, bagging, gradient boosting machines, k-means++, etc.
- Solid experience in practical predictive modeling. Forecasting is a plus.
- The Data Scientist will have good understanding of the experimental design, simulation, optimization, mixed methods and market research.
- Exposure to representation learning including deep learning.
- Advanced knowledge of two or more of the analytics languages/toolkits such as R, SAS, SPSS, Matlab or Python with analytical extensions.
- SQL and advanced data processing.
- The Data Scientist will be proficient in at least one programming/scripting language like Python, Scala, Julia, Ruby, or Java, C#, etc.
- Strong understanding of big data concepts and knowledge of big data languages/tools such as Hive, Pig, Mahout or Spark.
Responsible for leveraging internal and external data to provide insights and information which supports a facts-based decision making process. Provides input into strategy, analysis methods, and tool selection. May work independently or as part of a team on more complex projects. Provides mentoring and guidance to more junior team members. May be responsible for leading a team, but does not directly manage people.
- Lead complex interdepartmental data science programs that designs solutions across one or more technologies.
- Develop data mining, machine learning, statistical and graph-based algorithms designed to analyze massive data sets for business insights and partner with the data engineering team to ensure proper implementation and usage of algorithms.
- Review and evaluate data scientist programs enterprise level to determine appropriate use of algorithm-driven products and solutions.
- Educate other departments on data science methodologies, concepts and algorithmic advancements.
- Lead a small group of less experienced team members on analytical projects or on cross-functional teams. Frequently serves as team lead on multiple projects, mentor and train junior team members.
- Lead development and implementation of scalable big-data driven solutions for accurate targeting of users with relevant business treatments and efficient algorithmic inventory. Manage challenges associated with investigating and understanding large datasets, and building models based on Big Data solutions.
- Define enterprise data strategy and data monetization processes through analysis of rich streams of unstructured data to find correlations between events and identify opportunities to optimize defined desired outcomes
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Master's Degree
- Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Science, OperationalResearch, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Generally requires 11+ years related experience.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer
Meet Some of Comcast's Employees
Director, Strategic Development
Working to launch to new startups on Comcast’s behalf, Greg is responsible for driving strategy and business leadership to deliver both delightful consumer experiences and strong financial results.
Back to top