Staff Product Support Engineer
- Fairfield, CA
United States of America
HCA09: Interiors (Propulation) -Fairf 3530 Branscombe Road, Fairfield, CA, 94533 USA
Do you want to be a part of something bigger? A team whose impact stretches across the world, and even beyond? Our Mission Systems team helps civilian, military and government customers complete their most complex missions - whatever and wherever they may be. Our customers depend on us for intelligent and secure communications, missionized systems for specialized aircraft and spacecraft and collaborative space solutions. By joining our team, you'll have your own critical part to play in ensuring our customer succeeds today while anticipating their needs for tomorrow. Are you up for the challenge? Join our mission today.
We are seeking an Engineer with a background in pyrotechnic, propellant, and high explosive design and analysis. This position primarily responsible for all phases of a production project support, including proposal preparation, failure analysis, brainstorming sessions, supplier support, manufacturing support, non-conforming material analysis, and delta-qualification testing. In addition, the engineering will be required to perform detailed analysis in support of existing product designs, providing technical support within the company, and leading product safety and obsolescence. The position is expected to participate in continuous improvement activities, be capable of leading efforts, creating detailed plans and providing recommendations for complex technical issues in the department. This is a multi-disciplinary position and is expected to span multiple traditional engineering functions.
- Provide overall expertise to the engineering group in interior ballistics and high explosives.
- Provide an engineering focal to Program Management for product safety issues, including participating in Product Safety Review board meetings, conducting detailed investigations, and providing customer support.
- Plan and conduct product obsolescence projects, focused on identifying alternative sources of supply, planning and specifying process changes, conducting delta-qualification or first article testing, and interacting with customers
- Providing detailed analysis of performance and associated risk to Program Management for propellant mixes in production. These tasks will focus on the impact to product performance in the end item configuration and associated risks with performing Lot Acceptance Testing.
- Leads or participates in failure investigation efforts, providing overall technical support, fault tree analysis, and brainstorming. Ability to model and simulate 'off baseline' scenarios of product performance.
- Participate in defining process specifications of formulations for existing propellant and pyrotechnic technologies.
- Participate in defining process specifications for high explosive manufacturing.
- Review Request for Quotes from customers to evaluate feasibility, prepare labor estimates for updating engineering technical data packages, identify significant risks, and provide mitigation recommendations.
- Lead and develop testing methods to qualify design changes to new or existing customer requirements.
- Create/modify documents and drawings needed to support internal and contractual requirements, leading focus teams as necessary for complex projects/problems.
- Communicate with customers to provide technical information, engineering recommendations, action plans, and risk assessments.
- Perform transient, static, dynamic, and thermal analyses as required including hand or FEA calculations.
- Use or modify existing tools to model dynamic gas flow using classical theory and numerical integration to solve transient problems.
- Perform hydrodynamic analysis simulating explosive events.
- Ensure all project milestones are achieved within identified and documented time, budget, and performance expectations for multiple projects.
- Performs complex engineering activities that may not be attributed to a defined discipline and provides guidance to less senior employees.
- With some direction, creates and implements common procedures and standards for routine work across the organization.
- Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelor's degree and ten years of prior relevant experience or an Advanced degree and seven years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience with energetic engineering is required. The candidate is expected to have a detailed understanding of propellant, pyrotechnic, and high explosive energetic systems.
- Strong modeling and analysis skills of complex engineering problems, LS-Dyna and Hypermesh skills preferred.
- Knowledge and application of non-linear analyses, including non-linear, strain-rate dependent, and state-of-stress dependent material models.
- Highly proficient in programming; MATLAB, FORTRAN, C/C++, or Visual Basic skills preferred.
- Highly proficient in modeling, Solidworks preferred.
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new analysis/modeling software.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical customers.
- Must be proficient at prioritizing and managing work load, as well as have very strong decision making and administrative abilities.
- Self-motivated and ability to drive projects to completion.
- Ability to multi task between multiple projects and work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written skills, with a focus on customer interaction.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screens for re-hires only performed for previous employees who have been gone from the company for more than 1 year
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top