Staff Mechanical Engineer - Military Avionics - Common Platform Hardware
- Cedar Rapids, IA
United States of America
HIA32: Cedar Rapids, IA 400 Collins Rd NE , Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-0505 USA
The Common Platform Hardware (CPH) department in Avionics Military Avionics and Helicopters (MA&H) has an opening for a Staff Mechanical Engineer. The CPH department is responsible for the development and sustainment of state of the art avionics hardware products including integrated processing cabinets, video processing modules, and control panels used in rotary wing, fixed wing tanker and transport, and fighter/bomber aircraft platforms.
Our products employ the following technologies and interfaces; Airborne Electronic Hardware including FPGAs and ASICs. PowerPC, Intel, and ARM embedded processing resources. Avionics interfaces including ARINC 429, MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet and video interfaces including SMPTE, DVI, and DisplayPort. Our products employ various active and passive cooling techniques depending on the application.
This position is for a Staff level Mechanical Engineer. This individual will conduct product development activities and studies, execute and analyze tests, and produce parts, designs, or sketches, following all appropriate Mechanical Engineering design, safety, and qualification standards. A Staff ME will have an active role in proposal development (pursuit and capture) in addition to product development responsibilities.
- Participate in product development activities including trade and feasibility studies, cost estimates, implementation of specifications, board design, and development of requirements.
- Execute tests for systems, sub-systems, and components. Analyze test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives.
- Follow all appropriate design, safety, and qualification standards in development programs.
- Work toward commonality and optimization of product & components to reduce design errors and escapes.
- Test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess operating condition effects.
- Produce parts, specifications, designs, or sketches for machines, components, systems or work orders / purchase requests
- Researches, plans, designs and develops mechanical products and systems in areas including, but not limited to, mechanical, thermal, or heat transfer for production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy.
- Applies research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines, and/or machines.
- May evaluate and analyze various mechanical products to determine their cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
- May evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate malfunctions.
The position must have requirements include:
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in the appropriate discipline and 7 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 5 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 11 years of relevant experience is required.
- Must be a US Citizen and have the ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance.
- Experience in analysis of structural, dynamic and thermal loading
- Understanding of circuit card designs and how it relates to mechanical designs
- Knowledge of commercial and military instrument packaging (chassis design)
- Design of assemblies using NX or similar CAD modeling tools
- Knowledge of Mil standards including MIL-STD-810 and DO-160 environmental tests as well as qualification testing of new products
- Experience with Technical Standard Order (TSO) documentation and submittal process
- Support bid and proposal efforts with engineering estimates and formal bid documentation
- Experience working with subcontracts managers and ability to develop accurate statements of work for procurement of subcontracted items
- Experience in project management that includes financial and schedule management as well as status reporting (CAM work)
- Understanding of Design to Cost (DTC+), Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Test (DFT)
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
Our Avionics team advances aviation electronics and information management solutions for commercial and military customers across the world. That means we're helping passengers reach their destination safely. We're connecting aircraft operators, airports, rail and critical infrastructure with intelligent data service solutions that keep passengers, flight crews and militaries connected and informed. And we're providing industry-leading fire protection and safety systems that our customers can count on when it matters most. Are you ready to learn from the most knowledgeable experts in the industry, develop the technologies of tomorrow and reach new heights in your career? Join our Avionics team today.
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
WE ARE REDEFINING AEROSPACE.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
- Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
- Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
- Redbrick - Incentives for a Healthy You
- Autism Benefit
- Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
- Adoption Assistance
- Best Doctors, second opinion program
- And more!
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top