Project Manager (IPT Lead) - Generator Technology
- Rockford, IL
United States of America
A01: Rockford - Aerospace 4747 Harrison Avenue, Rockford, IL, 61125 USA
Electric Power Systems is the industry leader in aerospace generators, motors, and emergency power systems. Our products provide electric power for all flight and safety functions, support passenger comfort, and start the engines of some of the industry's most advanced aircraft. To support continued growth, the New Business and Technology Development team within Power Generation Engineering is seeking an ambitious Project Manager (also known as an Integrated Project Team Lead or IPT Lead). In this high visibility role, the IPT Lead will direct an engineering team on the development of innovative technologies for primary electric power generation and hybrid electric propulsion on future military and commercial aircraft.
The preferred candidate will have a track record of progressive technical and leadership responsibility on the development and integration of electrical systems with airframes and engines, an ability to concisely communicate product and project details to both technical and non-technical audiences, and enjoy creating solutions to open-ended technical challenges. They will show a passion for taking ownership of complex generator and motor projects, driving day-to-day progress of a talented engineering team, and be comfortable straddling both technical and project domains.
- Responsible for leading a cross-functional engineering team (typically 5 to 8 members), providing both technical and project oversight to the team.
- Lead the three pillars of Project Engineering with minimal oversight:
- Schedule: Define deliverables, negotiate milestones, and create robust project plans aligned with engineering resources and customer needs or expectations.
- Budget: Create accurate project budgets and drive execution to financial metrics.
- Technical: Lead the team on the resolution of complex engineering challenges and know when to provide high level leadership versus diving into technical details.
- Using clear, concise written and verbal communication skills, interface with internal stakeholders such as the program office and executives, as well as external stakeholders such as industry customers, government agencies, and suppliers.
- Lead the negotiation of project details such as project scope, technical requirements, and milestones with internal and external customers.
- Proactively identify project risks, develop robust mitigation plans, and lead the timely execution of those plans.
- Create new standard work, tools, and processes to support continuous improvement and innovation of product development processes.
- Demonstrated experience in project engineering for complex mechanical or electrical products, including managing budgets ranging from several hundred $k to several $M, driving a multi-year schedule, and leading a team of engineers.
- Experience with the design, test, and integration of complex mechanical or electrical products.
- Prior experience working with an Earned Value Management System (EVMS) or equivalent project financial management methods.
- Experience in utilizing Microsoft Project, Excel, and PowerPoint software.
- Bachelor's degree and 7 years of relevant experience OR
- Advance degree and 5 years of relevant experience OR
- In absence of a degree, 11 years of relevant experience is required
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Engineering or Business Master's degree combined with an undergraduate engineering degree.
- Experience with the analysis of electromagnetics, hydraulic pumps/motors, differentials or mechanical components including bearings, shafts, gears, and splines.
- Significant design and test experience with electric power products such as electrical generators, motors, or hybrid drivetrain systems in aerospace or a closely related industry. Experience with a variety of electrical machine topologies such as wound field synchronous, permanent magnet, induction, and switched reluctance.
- Significant design and test experience with mechanical products such as hydraulic pump and motor systems, or the integration of gearboxes or hydraulic transmissions with electrical systems in aerospace or a closely related industry.
- Prior experience collaborating with airframe manufacturers, defense contractors, gas turbine manufacturers, or government agencies on the integration of mechanical and electrical systems with aircraft engines and/or airframes.
- Familiarity with Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) and experience maturing emerging technologies to higher TRL.
- PMP Certificate.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt or Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Tools.
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
We make modern flight possible for millions of travelers and our military every second. Our major product lines are on-board virtually every aircraft flying. Be it keeping passengers safe with our emergency power generation systems, or creating a positive in flight experience through reliable cabin pressure controls and quieter engines, Power & Controls focuses on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. We hire the top people in the industry. Their ideas drive our performance, and their integrity keeps our customers happy. Join us as we take flight!
Collins Aerospace Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
- Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
- Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
- Redbrick - Incentives for a Healthy You
- Autism Benefit
- Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
- Adoption Assistance
- Best Doctors, second opinion program
- And more!
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top