Principal Systems Architect
- Richardson, TX
United States of America
HTX36: Richardson, TX 3200 E Renner Rd , Richardson, TX, 75082-2402 USA
At Collins Aerospace, we're dedicated to relentlessly tackle the toughest challenges in our industry - all to redefine aerospace.
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies- Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems - we're driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
Do you want to be a part of something bigger? A team whose impact stretches across the world, and even beyond? At Collins Aerospace, our Mission Systems team helps civilian, military and government customers complete their most complex missions - whatever and wherever they may be. Our customers depend on us for intelligent and secure communications, missionized systems for specialized aircraft and spacecraft and collaborative space solutions. By joining our team, you'll have your own critical part to play in ensuring our customer succeeds today while anticipating their needs for tomorrow. Are you up for the challenge? Join our mission today.Collins Aerospace makes modern flight possible. Of course, that wouldn't be possible without the capabilities and technologies of our organization, as well as our engineers - a highly skilled, accomplished network that spans more than 180 sites, 24 countries and 6 Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn't shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies.
Together, we will nurture an engineering culture that values intellectual curiosity, risk takers and integrity. A place where we will challenge ourselves, our teams, and the status quo and where we will work to find a way - the right way - to achieve what others can only dream of.
The Integrated Mission Systems Engineering directorate is looking for an exceptionally motivated Principal Systems Engineering Architect that is passionate about systems engineering with the ability to thrive in a highly technical environment. Additionally, this position will be responsible for motivating team members, facilitating meetings, cultivating and reinforcing appropriate group values, norms and behaviors, and identifying, analyzing and correcting problems.
As a Principal Systems Architect, you will create system designs and validate these multiple domain communication solutions used on strategic platforms. Primary responsibility will be to focus on customer needs and requirements in order to design, develop, document and test both hardware and software systems, ranging from black box to the complex end-to-end platform systems.
Projects span the entire development lifecycle, including pursuit and order capture, system design, requirements definition, requirement allocation, requirement traceability, use case development for software/hardware, systems integration, verification testing and qualification.
The candidate will work closely with fellow systems engineers, Technical Project Engineers (PEs), Product Line / Program Management, software, hardware, electrical and support staff to assure defined requirements are consistently met in all phases of the product lifecycle. This position will serve as a leader within the directorate to deploy the Collins Management System for engineering, and to assist in driving transformational change throughout the organization.
- Serve as the Lead Systems Architect and/or Systems Lead to capture, analyze, decompose, develop overall system design, model, translate and create requirements for large, complex and difficult systems.
- Strong understanding of end-to-end systems architecture governance and design principles.
- Provide technical expertise in the decomposition of customer specifications and system level requirements into sub-system and piece part requirements and make recommendations for the generation of verification criteria and plans for those requirements.
- Serve as a technical advisor to senior engineering and PM leadership.
- Lead technical proposal preparation and serve as a subject matter expert in non-advocate, internal and customer reviews.
- Lead the maturation of capabilities for a mission system through functional analysis and Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE) processes.
- Lead, advise, collaborate, and establish trusted relationships with systems engineering managers, value stream leaders, business development leaders, product line managers, technical subject matter expert leaders, finance, operations, supply chain, quality, EH&S, and external customers.
- Develop and/or utilize prognostic metrics for system design and development. Review metrics and defects trends, identify systemic root causes and process improvements. Recommend new approaches, tools and techniques that drive continuous improvement in technical development processes.
- Strong capability to mentor teams on the utilization of internal processes, methods, and tools for systems development and documentation efforts.
- Train and mentor less experienced leaders and engineers
- Ability to travel between 10 to 20%.
Basic Qualifications (Required):
- US citizenship with the ability to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in the appropriate discipline and 10 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 7 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 14 years of relevant experience is required.
- Broad background in airborne, ground, or space communication programs involving products, systems, and/or services
- Demonstrable high proficiency with demonstrated experience in systems engineering, open systems architectures and model based systems engineering methods
- Ability to advise internal programs and customers around the development of system level architectures using Collins and other industry products and COTS components
- Broad and deep background in computing programs, products, and underlying technologies
- Broad experience with system architecture development spanning both software, and hardware engineering.
- Proven experience with communication systems design that includes simulation and analysis
- Broad experience with advanced networking concepts
- Practical experience and ability with RMF and DevSecOps in context to design considerations of information processing solutions such as MLS.
- Experience with applied human factors engineering practices to plan crew systems interfaces for UI/UX and translate these customer requirements into hardware and software solutions
- Experience developing optimized solutions through collaborative dialog with the customer for requirements into hardware and software solutions maximizing value for the company.
- Experience in developing winning technical customer strategies by creating technical proposals and completing complicated trade studies
- Experience with visual modeling and design tools (Enterprise Architect, Cameo, or equivalent)
- Practical experience with DODAF architecture views and demonstrable proficiency with the framework
- Experience with systems/software modeling languages (SysML, UML, AADL, or equivalent)
- Experience with performance modeling (e.g. MATLAB, OPNET, Riverbed Modeler)
- Strong knowledge of signal processing and waveform design and analysis
- Expertise in Atlassian (e.g. JIRA/Bamboo) suite of tools
- Management of product lines in areas of communication systems, military systems, signal processing, RF, PNT solutions, datalink solutions and/or airborne products
- Design, test, analyze, integrate, qualify and document hardware of moderate to high complexity to ensure the electrical and/or mechanical design is appropriate for the project/product design approach
- Operational experience with embedded (low-level) software development, application software development, and/or hardware development
- Strong understanding of waterfall and Agile development processes
- Experience and proficiency with project performance measurement, tracking methods, and tools
- Strong understanding of the Change Management processes and tools
- Active or current DoD Secret clearance with ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
• Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• And more
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top