Mechanical Engineering Intern (Summer 2021)
- Phoenix, AZ
United States of America
HAZ09: Corporate - Electronic Sys Ctr 3445 S 5th Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85040 USA
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
At Collins Aerospace, our Interiors team is focused on innovation, safety and cost efficiency. But we don't just get people from point A to point B. We're committed to making air travel more comfortable, connected and secure. As a leader in aviation interior products and services, we're helping airlines and original equipment manufacturers create a positive experience for their customers. With offices and manufacturing facilities in more than 12 states across the U.S. and more than 10 countries around the globe, we're changing the game of aircraft interiors. Are you ready to join our team?
We are seeking a highly motivated student in Mechanical Engineering for a 2021 summer internship opportunity at the Phoenix, AZ, Electronic Systems Center, Collins facility. The position may involve supporting engineers who have direct interface with customers (internal and external) and suppliers in support of developing an understanding of the mechanical design constraints. The position will work within a cross functional team environment to resolve issues.
The intern will have the opportunity to contribute to mechanical design and/or analysis of electronic controllers for aircraft systems or other projects or products as applicable.
Internships are for students who prefer shorter work periods, usually three months during the summer. A formal agreement is not required with the school. The company's goal is to relate employment opportunities to the student's academic majors to ensure maximum productivity for all parties involved. The goal of the intern program is to enhance the student's academic training, professional growth, and personal development.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with strong written and oral communication skills and works well in a team environment.
Primary Responsibilities May Include:
- Working in an Integrated Product Team environment
- Exposure to the creation of conceptual and detailed designs using MCAD tools
- Learn innovative electronic packaging concepts and solutions
- Support engineering analyses (Thermal, Stress and Vibration)
- Potentially Interact with team of engineers in India
- Support new product development from concept through production.
- Generate detailed solid models and engineering drawings.
- Support the processing of documents through document change system.
- Create and make technical presentations
- Create test planning documentations and help perform execution of testing
- Creation and review of engineering documentation
- Support Environmental Qualification testing
- Other tasks as assigned
- Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent and student must be pursuing a Bachelor's or advanced degree in an applicable discipline.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Pursuing a B.S. degree in Mechanical in Junior or Senior year, having completed Sophomore year by May 2021
- Must be currently enrolled in coursework
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Completion of at least 60 credit hours, 90 credit hours completed is preferred.
- Relevant coursework for mechanical design and analysis: Solid Modeling, Statics, Dynamics, Solid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics, etc.
- Basic knowledge of mechanical engineering principles with a good understanding of thermodynamics, electrical circuits, and structural mechanics
- Ability to work both independently and on a team as required
- Familiarity with tolerance analysis and application of GD&T ASME Y14.5.
- Good organization and planning skills required.
- Discipline to manage multiple tasks
- Applicant should be highly motivated, with demonstrated communication skills
- Close attention to detail required
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Good computer skills with ability to learn new programs/software
- Exposure to working on avionics design or related experience
- Familiarity with solid modeling. NX
- Familiarity with development guidelines
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
WE ARE REDEFINING AEROSPACE.
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top