Associate Director - Directional Systems
- Cedar Rapids, IA
United States of America
HIA32: Cedar Rapids, IA 400 Collins Rd NE , Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-0505 USA
Do you want to be a part of something bigger? A team whose impact stretches across the world, and even beyond? At Collins Aerospace, our Mission Systems team helps civilian, military and government customers complete their most complex missions - whatever and wherever they may be. Our customers depend on us for intelligent and secure communications, missionized systems for specialized aircraft and spacecraft and collaborative space solutions. By joining our team, you'll have your own critical part to play in ensuring our customer succeeds today while anticipating their needs for tomorrow. Are you up for the challenge? Join our mission today.
Associate Director, Directional Devices (Systems) - Advanced Technology Center (ATC)
At Collins Aerospace, we share a common purpose to keep people safe, connected, and informed. Along this path, we are building a diverse global culture that values relationships, commitment, integrity, and innovation. This purpose and these values are fundamental to the success of this position within the Advanced Technology (AT) department, Mission Systems Engineering and Technology.
The Advanced Radio Systems department within AT is seeking a self-motivated principal engineering manager to lead and grow a team of R&D engineers and scientists on the next frontiers of integrated directional communication systems. The team is chartered with creating, demonstrating, and transitioning innovative technologies that improve the safety, efficiency, and capability of both commercial and military aviation systems. As a leader within AT, the successful candidate will have responsibility for strategic planning - THINKING BIG, project execution, business development - TAKING ACTION, and acquisition/development of technical staff - HELPING OTHERS SUCCEED.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of excellent oral and written communication skills as well as teamwork and critical thinking skills. The group will conduct research and development of integrated directional radio systems for radar, communications data links, and non traditional applications of such systems. Customers and collaborators include other groups within Engineering, the Mission Systems portfolios as well as government research organizations. It is expected that the candidate will establish and develop relationships with these organizations.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Ability to lead a team of engineers and researchers in developing technology along with engaging with Portfolio Engineering to transition technologies
- Manage several research and technology programs through principal investigators effectively
- Technical depth in electronic engineering with a preference for directional electromagnetic systems
- Leadership in capturing and executing external S&T contracts is desirable
- Must be a self-starter and have strong analytical skills
- Ability to communicate with internal and external customers and ability to position and influence capture customers leading to research contracts
- Leverages advanced principles, theories, and concepts of complex technical subjects to provide direction for employees.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks, while balancing priorities and schedules
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to work well with others across geographic and organizational boundaries
- Manages individual contributing technical talent and is responsible for a small organization of engineers.
- Responsible for program performance for cognizant developments.
- Assigns technical resources to work assignments (workforce allocation).
- Approves work scope for assigned portion of overall program.
- Ensures compliance to development processes and standard work requirements. Follows processes and operational policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Acquires and develops technical resources which contribute to the completion of domain projects. Oversees development work being performed by third party partners or subcontract labor.
- Actively addresses employee performance and development issues.
- Oversees and participates in development of engineering bids to ensure success.
- Strives to spend 50-70% of week performing technical tasks and oversight. Remaining time spent managing people, schedules and/or budgets.
- Responsible for the development and technical coaching of staff. Provides guidance to direct reports within the latitude of established departmental policies and objectives.
- Responsible for on-boarding and assimilation of new hires.
- Responsible for identification and development of group leader and key technologist back-ups.
- Willingness and ability to obtain a security clearance
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in the appropriate discipline and 10 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the
appropriate discipline and 8 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 14 years of relevant experience is required.
- Must be U.S. Citizen
- Must have or be capable of obtaining a US Department of Defense (DoD) security clearance. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation/reinstatement and must meet eligibility requirements
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion drives success. We believe a multitude of approaches and ideas enable us to deliver the best results for our workforce, workplace, and customers. We are committed to fostering a culture where all employees can share their passions and ideas so we can tackle the toughest challenges in our industry and pave new paths to limitless possibility.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
- Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
- Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
- Redbrick - Incentives for a Healthy You
- Autism Benefit
- Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
- Adoption Assistance
- Best Doctors, second opinion program
- And more!
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top