Aerodynamic Design Engineer, Turbomachinery
- Windsor Locks, CT
United States of America
01: Building 01 Windsor Locks One Hamilton Road, Windsor Locks, CT, 06096 USA
This position is intended for an experienced engineer focused on the aerodynamic design, performance, and analysis of high speed, gas breathing turbomachinery. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience related to high speed compressible flow, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and elements of mechanical design.
- Participate in multidisciplinary team engaged in the design and development of novel technologies and architectures for optimal performance and efficiency
- Maintain, improve, and develop techniques, methods, and standards for aerodynamic design of turbomachinery
- Verification and validation of compressor, turbine, and fan performance maps for relevant applications
- Provide subject matter expertise to support root cause investigations and identify solutions to challenging engineering issues
- Identify opportunities to work across business units, locations, and disciplines to collaborate, recommend projects, and advance the state of the art
- Develop innovative approaches to solve complex engineering challenges
- Establish strategies and plans to improve engineering processes, tools, technologies, and quality control standards
- Lead the implementation of changes based on analysis of industry trends and developments in turbomachinery
- Share knowledge, mentor, and develop the next generation of engineers
- Experience designing high speed gas breathing turbomachinery
- Experience using commercial CFD software for turbomachinery design (e.g. Star-CCM+, ANSYS Fluent, ANSYS CFX)
- Experience characterizing turbomachinery performance
- Bachelor's degree and 7 years of relevant experience OR
- Advance degree and 5 years of relevant experience OR
- In absence of a degree, 11 years of relevant experience is required
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must have or be capable of obtaining a US Department of Defense (DoD) security clearance. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation/reinstatement and must meet eligibility requirements
Applied Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience modeling high speed compressible flow
- Experience with 1D mean line sizing of centrifugal, axial, and mixed flow turbomachinery
- Experience with 3D blading of centrifugal compressors, radial inflow turbines, and axial fans
- Experience using commercial turbomachinery blading software (e.g. ANSYS Turbo Systems, Concepts NREC AxCent)
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Understanding of 1D system modeling
- Familiarity with ball and hydrodynamic bearings
- Familiarity with rotor dynamics
- Familiarity with vapor cycle systems
- Familiarity with basic concepts and applications of Finite Element Analysis
- Programming skills with common languages (e.g. python, MATLAB, C++, FORTRAN, etc.)
- Security Clearance
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
We make modern flight possible for millions of travelers and our military every second. Our major product lines are on-board virtually every aircraft flying. Be it keeping passengers safe with our emergency power generation systems, or creating a positive in flight experience through reliable cabin pressure controls and quieter engines, Power & Controls focuses on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. We hire the top people in the industry. Their ideas drive our performance, and their integrity keeps our customers happy. Join us as we take flight!
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution, including a Lifetime Income Strategy option
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Optional coverages you can buy: Pet Insurance, Home and Auto, additional life insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, group legal
- Ovia Health, fertility and family planning
- Employee Assistance Plan, including up to 5 free counseling sessions
- Redbrick - Incentives for a Healthy You
- Autism Benefit
- Doctor on Demand, virtual doctor visits
- Adoption Assistance
- Best Doctors, second opinion program
- And more!
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Back to top