Technical Lead - Payments (Chicago)
At Collective Health, we're modernizing employer-sponsored health insurance and building the first healthcare solution that people actually look forward to interacting with. We believe that with a modern software stack, a small, dedicated team can replace entrenched 5000-person incumbents.
As a technical lead, you'll drive the continued design and development of our backend systems that allow us to process insurance claims, handle user data, analyze trends, and power our web portals. Our tech stack is a distributed system of Go and Java components with an Angular.js front end. Our infrastructure is based on Docker, CoreOS, and Postgres, and we love automated testing, code review, and continuous integration.
As an engineering team, we believe good code is easy to read and understand. We expect all of our engineers to continually teach as well as learn. Our company as a whole places a high priority on the overall member experience, including customer support (you shouldn't have to wait on hold ever), legal language (you shouldn't have to be a lawyer to read your health plan), and intuitive web design.
We've got a ton of interesting problems to solve around distributed systems, data pipelines, data analytics and predictions, system reliability, security, privacy, and more. If you're passionate about tackling hard problems while making a real difference in the world, we'd love to talk!
What you’ll work on:
- Participate in building solutions that enables our business to cost efficiently serve our members
- Enable and enhance production readiness of the service ecosystem
- Provide technical mentorship to more junior engineers and ensure high quality code
- Work with other teams such as product managers, data scientists, QA, SREs to coordinate releases
What we’re looking for:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
- 8+ years of software engineering experience as a full stack or backend engineer
- You have a track record of developing cloud-native and well-tested software relies on robots and continuous integration, not humans, to validate builds
- Experience working with our toolset is a plus. We have a microservices stack where the main services are written mainly in Java, Scala and Go while leveraging Spring Cloud Stream and Amazon Kinesis
- Experience with scalable streaming data pipelines and reactive technologies is a plus
- Well versed in agile development methodologies (i.e. scrum, kanban)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Collective Health's Employees
Senior Software Engineer
After a member visits their doctor or fills a prescription, Collective Health ensures members are billed accurately and providers are paid. Erica leads the development of the interface that enables the Operations Team to quickly and accurately process claims—ensuring money flows to the right people.
Back to top