Job Category Casual Wage
Position Title Head Coach - Men's & Women's CLUB Rugby
Full Time/Part Time Part Time
Department Recreation Sports
Colgate University is a special place to work and offers many unique opportunities, including the ability to work with and among world class faculty and staff at a highly selective residential liberal arts institution. This position provides an opportunity to become familiar with the variety of regular positions that are available at the University, as well as the ability to add employment at a distinct University to your resume.
Successful candidates for this position will earn sick leave, paid time off, free parking, and a University 'Gate Card that provides access to fitness facilities, athletic and cultural events, as well as a discount on many items at the University Bookstore.
This type of appointment is not approved to work more than 999 hours per year for all positions combined. Should incumbents work more than a total of 999 hours in a year the appointment may not continue beyond one year of service.
Campus Recreation supports the development of the whole person and their sense of belonging through active programs, services, and facilities that promote wellbeing.
The Colgate University Club Sport Program is designed to enhance the student experience while participating in a sport of choice. It is not intended to be a path leading clubs to varsity status under the Colgate Intercollegiate Athletics program.
Club Sport Objectives
- To provide students, faculty, and staff the opportunity for instruction and participation in a wide variety of sports of which one may develop sound, lifelong leisure values.
- To develop leadership skills by providing opportunities for students to organize, administer, and manage through individual clubs and/or the Club Sport Council.
- To provide an avenue for camaraderie and to develop a sense of belonging among individuals in the shared pursuit of sport.
- To provide an outlet for advanced participation and competition in a particular sport.
- To secure funds, facilities and equipment necessary to learn and practice skills of a particular sport.
Responsible for strategic leadership of all activities and outcomes within the men's and women's club rugby programs. These will include sustained performance and execution in the following areas:
- Competition Preparation
- Scheduling of all games within Fall & Spring seasons
- Coordinate travel logistics (housing, transportation, etc.) and home game arrangements.
- Appropriately teach safe rugby techniques and skills
- Responsible for budget development and management
- Oversee inventory of club uniforms and equipment.
- Maintain Men's and Women's Rugby webpages.
- Continue promoting an inclusive community for all players, administrators, and stakeholders.
Responsible for recruitment and management of club athletes to ensure club meets sustained performance in the following areas
- Attracting and evaluating club-athletes before, during, and end of season
- Ensuring club-athlete academic progress and well-being
- Ensuring club-athletes adhere to institutional policies and code of conduct
Responsible for creating a culture of compliance within the programs to all relevant governing bodies including:
- Liberty Rugby Conference
- NY State Collegiate Rugby Conference
- National Collegiate Rugby (NCR)
- USA Rugby
- Specific Conference
- University policies
- Departmental Policies
Ensures positive relationships and communication between the program and key stakeholders, including alumni, parents, faculty, and other University constituents
- Effectively support club's fundraising efforts
- Prepare and oversee alumni mailing as per divisional and institutional guidelines.
Responsible for role modeling positive behaviors and leadership for club-athletes
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSA's are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the campus safety department.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
Four (4) years of rugby playing, coaching, or operations experience
Four (4) years of collegiate rugby playing, coaching, or operations experience
High school diploma or equivalent
A Current First Aid, CPR, AED Certification is required. A valid driver's license, in accordance with the University's Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required - Must be able to obtain certifications within 60 days of hire date.
Posting Detail Information
Requisition Number 2023CW038Posting
Work schedule will vary
Job Open Date 05/25/2023
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at email@example.com. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.