First Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach (12 Month)
- Hamilton, NY
Job Category Athletic Staff Coach/Trainer
Position Title First Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach (12 Month)
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Colgate Athletics Mission:
To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence.
Athletics Department Values:
Thoughtful - Careful, reasoned, inclusive thinking.
Driven - Relentless, energetic, focused pursuit of a courageous goal.
Enthusiastic - Passionate, positive, fun presence.
Cohesive - Close-knit, collaborative, consistent teamwork.
Bold - Creative, resourceful, fearless winners.
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority ( CSA ), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.
The First Assistant Volleyball Coach is accountable for the execution of specific strategic activities and outcomes within their assigned sport or area.
These include sustained performance and execution in the following areas:
- Adherence to Head Coach's philosophy.
- Athletic instruction/coaching.
- The execution of program operations and
administration as designated by the head
The First Assistant Volleyball Coach is also accountable for the oversight of all administrative operations regarding student-athlete development.
- Monitoring of student-athlete academic progress and well-being.
- Ensure student-athlete participation in all assigned community service activities.
- The execution of all scouting, film preparation, competition preparation, video breakdown, use of appropriate video-editing software, coordination and oversight over film exchange program per conference policies.
- The coordination of team film sessions and the development of scouting reports.
- Accountable for overall team recruitment strategy.
- Exercises independent judgement regarding recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
- Decision-making authority to determine which individuals to recruit attracting and evaluating prospective student athletes.
- The monitoring prospective student-athlete academic progress and well being.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with prospective student athletes and other recruiting constituents.
Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include:
- Specific conference.
- Athletic department.
- University policies.
- Successful completion of annual NCAA
- Attendance at all required compliance
- Successful on-time completion of all recruiting logs.
Accountable for maintaining professional relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for all newsletters and communication with alumni.
- Responsible for team promotion and marketing to all constituents.
- Collaborate with Athletic Marketing Team when determining communication strategy within university and outreach to local community.
- Independent decision-making regarding all student-athlete participation in assigned sport activities when head coach is not present.
- Accountable for student-athlete welfare while coaching.
- Responsible for maintaining a budget and exercises independent discretion on all purchases and budgetary decisions for program.
- Responsible for hiring, oversight and management of student managers and part-time casual wage staff.
- First Assistant Coach has independent discretion on all hiring and termination of student employees and part-time casual wage staff.
- Responsible for role modeling behaviors and leadership for student-athletes.
Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate best-fit prospective student-athletes. Demonstrated ability to attract desired student-athletes to the University. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain productive relationships with prospective student-athletes and key influencers.
Name Student athlete development, management and instruction
Demonstrated ability of consistently improving individual student-athlete performance. Demonstrated expertise within a specific sport sufficient to adhere to head coach's strategy. Demonstrated ability to execute strategy, including pre-game preparation, instruction and game management.
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to comply with NCAA , conference and institutional regulations.
Name Stakeholder Relations
Demonstrated ability to work constructively with a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders and contribute to an environment of inclusivity.
Name Budget and finance
Ability to adhere to budget.
Name Personal Accountability for Results
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.
Name Effective Communication
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.
Name Problem Solving and Decision Making
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.
Name Change Management
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.
Name Leadership and Teamwork
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.
Name Creativity and Innovation
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.
Name Diversity and Inclusion
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university's commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university's sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Candidates must possess excellent communication skills.
- Requires knowledge and commitment to all
University, League and NCAA regulations.
- Prior coaching or playing experience at the collegiate level is preferred.
- Experience running drills.
- Two years minimum coaching experience is a
higher education environment.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Associates Degree with comparable work
experience will be considered.
A current valid driver's license, in accordance with the University's Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.
Valid and current CPR and First Aid certification required or attained within the first 6 months of hire.
Ability to travel.
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA , ECAC , and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA , ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. Without limiting remedies otherwise available to the university, if you are found to be in violation of any NCAA , ECAC or Patriot League rules, you may be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in relevant NCAA , league or conference disciplinary and/or enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repeated violations.
Requisition Number 2020S017Posting
Job Open Date 02/11/2020
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
Back to top