Custodian - Temporary (no benefits)
- Hamilton, NY
Job Category Facilities
Position Title Custodian - Temporary (no benefits)
Full Time/Part Time Part Time
Division Finance and Administration
Department Facilities - Custodial Services
Maintains assigned area in clean and safe condition by performing such duties as cleaning of bathrooms and shower areas, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, washing windows, walls and woodwork, removing trash and recyclables, stripping and re-finishing hard floors, extraction cleaning of carpets and cleaning of common areas. -
- Responsible for cleaning in assigned area(s) to meet established guidelines.
- Responsible for following safety protocols in carrying out assigned duties and reporting maintenance and safety items to facilities office.
- Assists with moves and deliveries, setting up for special events, coverage for athletic events, and office moves. Removes snow and ice from entrance doors, steps, & sidewalks, and ensures cleanliness of immediate outdoor perimeter of assigned buildings.
- Works well with colleagues in a team oriented system and maintains flexibility to handle diverse job assignments.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Must be capable of working in a setting with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and visitors on a daily basis.
- Must be available for work in excess of normal schedule as needed, and reachable by phone for emergencies.
- Must be able to handle heavy equipment, such as industrial vacuum cleaners, and containers, such as trash bags/cans.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment as required.
- Previous custodial experience is preferred.
- Previous custodial experience in a hospital or educational setting and experience operating automatic floor and/or carpet cleaning machines is preferred.
A high school diploma or GED is preferred.
Must be able to stand for long periods of time and to lift and carry up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
A current, valid driver's license, in accordance with the University's Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy may be required for certain work opportunities.
Requisition Number 2019CW031P
The work schedule varies based on needs of the University.
Job Open Date 09/26/2019
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at email@example.com. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
Back to top