Principal Front-end Engineer
- Oslo, Norway
Want to help us scale how we build high-impact applications in complex domains?
About the team:
In the Cognite Industry Applications department we build a suite of web-based applications for heavy-asset industries. Our end users are domain experts, field workers, and analysts. We don't build technology for technology's sake, but rather to have an impact in the world's most challenging industries.
About the job to be done:
- At Cognite moving fast is one of our key values. Being a Principal Engineer means we expect you to think holistically about what we need to have in place from an engineering perspective to be able to move fast, both for specific applications and across applications, and to align the team and management on building this future. This means we expect you to have a long-term perspective while still being an enabler for short-term speed, enabling us to ship impact quickly, efficiently and reliably.
- We're looking for someone who's comfortable being the bridge between business problems and technical solutions. You'll primarily be working with code, but digging into and understanding the domains we work in is crucial to collaborate closely with product managers, designers, data scientists to build high-impact applications. We believe the most important decisions happen every day in the teams themselves, which means our engineers need to have a deep understanding of the domains they work in, but we don't expect you to already know these domains before joining.
- You'll work in one or a couple teams on tackling their most complex problems, including investigating and resolving areas of significant ambiguity. That means you'll also be working on exploring the key problems we need to resolve to be able to deliver on our priorities. Some days those problems are purely technical, other days it's about how to unblock the team and improve how we collaborate.
- You'll work closely with teams across Cognite to make sure we're aligned on how to move forward on major features or cross-application needs, like shared dependencies, notifications, access management and third-party integrations.
- Often the job involves moving further back in the stack, tackling problems related to micro-services, CI/CD, performance and cloud.
Most of the following statements should describe you:
- You have a BS/MS in Computer Science or a similar amount of experience.
- You have 5 or more years of relevant experience.
- You lead by example and by influencing others. You have a strong multiplier effect - work through others.
- You have a deep background and an understanding of the web. You should feel comfortable talking about CDN, caching, performance, build systems, CI/CD, and security. In-depth knowledge isn't expected - just a big plus.
- You have experience with architecting front-end tiers for complex domains.
- At Cognite all our frontend applications are built using React, so having a deep understanding of React and the surrounding ecosystem is a plus.
- You believe that understanding the domain you're working in is crucial for building high-quality, impactful applications.
- You work independently with minimal supervision and provide leadership and mentorship to other software engineers.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to make an impact on the industrial future and be part of disruptive and groundbreaking projects
- Competitive salary and benefits (including pension plans, insurance, benefits and more)
- IT equipment and tools to allow you to be productive
- Coverage of mobile telephone subscription and broadband connection
- Extended private health services and free yearly health check
- Free snacks and drinks throughout the day, to keep you running
- Subsidized lunch at the canteen, with various food options
- Free staffed gym
- Social activities (book club, team sports activities - football, boxing, regular Cognite social events)
- Free Norwegian courses for levels A1 and A2
- Help to relocate to Norway
Cognite is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Embracing diversity and inclusion means that all qualified applicants will receive the same level of consideration for employment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are following up on equal assessment in the recruitment process, and that is why we ask for gender when you apply. Answering the question is kindly requested, however, it is not mandatory and it will not affect in any way your application assessment.
Application deadline: ASAP
Cognite AS is a global industrial Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) company enabling the full-scale digital transformation of heavy-asset industries. Our core software product, Cognite Data Fusion (CDF), powers companies with contextualized OT/IT data to develop and scale solutions that increase safety, sustainability, efficiency, and drive revenue.
Back to top