Software Engineer, Data Science
- Leesburg, VA
Reporting to the Director of Data Science Team, Software Engineer - Data Science is responsible to integrate enterprise wide data from Cofense’s Cyber Security based Applications, Micro-services and other disparate data sources. This is an opportunity to design and maintain robust Data Lake Platform, Architecture by building ETL Pipelines using hands-on expertise in Object Oriented programming, Python, SQL, Databases, AI/ML, Azure/AWS Cloud, Linux, and API technologies. As a modern Data Engineer, successful candidates should be multi-faceted with great mix of technical and interpersonal skills, to succeed in highly collaborative and agile work environments delivering innovative scalable solutions.
- Work with Architects, Data Engineers & Cloud Systems Engineers in designing Data Platform and Architecture
- Able to build REST APIs to give secure access to Data lake. Develop Data Pipelines on Cloud Technologies like Azure/AWS with well-defined tool frameworks
- Able to develop ETL code to stream data from disparate (structured and semi-structured) SaaS product data stores to Data Lake/Data Warehouse using Python, Azure/AWS Data Lake services
- Ability to write complex SQL scripts and automate them using Python
- Maintain code base in Git like modern source control systems with defined code management strategy
- Develop test cases and unit tests for key implementations of Data Platform by adhering to software engineering best practices and standards
- Utilize principles of CD/CI for production deployment and automate code deployment process using tools like Git, Jenkins etc.
- Develop and Train Machine Learning (AI/ML) Algorithms to predict categories/classifications of phishing threats/attacks in area of cyber security
- Secure data end-to-end by complying data privacy rules while developing processes to move data across Applications/Data Sources and Data Lake/Data Warehouse, as well as while delivering data through SQL clients and BI tools.
- Help integrate Data Platform with BI tools like Power BI, Tableau, Splunk etc. and develop dashboards/reports on those tools
- Ability to develop and interpret Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERD) across data sets in relational database systems as well as non-relational Data stores
- Able to do Data Mining and Identify trends, patterns, anomalies in complex data sets across multiple data sources/systems and present results without ambiguity
- Develop data transformations to generate Facts, Summaries, Key metrics by applying business rule sets and aggregations using Python, SQL and other transformation tools
- Able to review current processes related to data ingestion, transformation and statistical analysis and re-engineer them
- Collaborate with business users across Cofense’s departments in defining requirements, prioritize project work and deliver them timely
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Cofense will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Cofense reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Expert in Python 3 – proven experience with NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-Learn, Pandas.
- Experience in building REST APIs to read data from Database via ‘API requests’ and using APIs to get data and load it into database using Python
- Experience using Python for data processing using CSV, JSON, Delimited, XML, AVRO, Parquet, and other file formats
- Expertise in SQL skills for data transformations, statistical analysis, and troubleshooting across more than one Database Platforms (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Azure SQL Warehouse etc.)
- Expert in writing complex SQL scripts and automate them using Python
- Strong experience using LINUX Systems
- Experience in Design and implementation of Machine Learning (AI/ML) Models to do Predictive Analytics for Cyber Security Industry using Python is a huge plus
- Knowledge of Data management on NoSQL DBs like DynamoDB, Mongo, and know-how of Big Data tools Hadoop, Spark, Kafka/Kinesis/SQS/Azure Queues or other messaging tools is huge plus
- Experience developing micro-services and Containerize applications/ETL pipelines using Docker or ECS is a huge plus
- Analytical skills, with good at finding data trends/outliers, anomalies, and articulate complex information or data points with Business Users, Management, and individuals
- Enthusiasm to work with lot of data across disparate data sources and Databases
- Has strong sense of engineering craftsmanship, takes pride in the code they write.
- Believes that good software development includes good testing, good documentation, and good collaboration
- Has a sense of intellectual curiosity and a burning desire to learn is self-driven, actively looks for ways to contribute, and knows how to get things done
- Is deliriously customer-focused both internal and external customers
- Sees big picture impact and relationships among and across work units
- Identifies complex technical problems and tries to resolve with minimal help
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Math, Data Analytics, Data Sciences, BI or demonstrated industry experience preferred
- 5+ years of software development experience using Python and Data technologies
- Experience with Open Source Tools and Azure, AWS Cloud Technologies
- Hands-on experience in Developing ETL data pipelines, Applications using SQL, Python
- Experience in writing complex SQL scripts for transformations and automate them using Python
- Experience in building and using RESTful APIs through Python libraries
- Experience integrating Data Platform with BI Tools (Power BI, Splunk) and developing reports/dashboards
- Experience on Unix/Linux platforms, SSH tunneling, ability to write and interpret bash code
Cofense is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis [protected class] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable national, federal, state or local laws and ordinances. We adhere to these commitments in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, and discipline.
Back to top