Manager Software Engineering, RoR
Reporting to the Director of Software Engineering, the Manager of Software Engineering, PhishMe, is responsible for providing technical leadership to assigned Cofense software engineering teams.
- Participate in the building, maintenance, and nurturing teams of developers within an Agile/Scrum environment in support of the development and maintenance of Cofense software engineering and delivery goals.
- Provide technical mentorship to Developers.
- Able to contribute to technical tasks, including hands-on coding and merge requests submitted by Developers.
- Perform the duties of a manager with direct reports consistent with Agile/Scrum organizational structuring. These duties may include hiring, termination, performance reviews, conflict resolution, team building, and seeking opportunities to offer professional development.
- Partner with Product Owner(s) to help with technical issues represented by items in the Scrum Product Backlog.
- Accountable for insuring that all Backlog items technical requirements are defined and actionable well in advance of Scrum Team Sprint Planning meetings. This is to include dependency identification, technical conflict remediation, general technology selection and consistency.
- Partner with Scrum Product Owner and Scrum Masters on decisions regarding prioritization of Technical Debt, Operational, and Functionality backlog items.
- Accountable for partnering with Scrum Product Owner and Scrum Masters to successfully capture feature goals in order to assure adequate documentation and assist with initial effort sizing estimates.
- Accountable for providing initial Backlog item size estimations to the Scrum Product Owner to assure that the tickets don’t represent too much work to be accepted into a Sprint by the Scrum Team.
- Interface as a technical resource with 3rd parties when needed.
- Remain effective at staying in tune with the direction of the business to assist the Scrum Teams in re-prioritizing tasks when appropriate.
- Provide software/system deployment oversight and ensuring successful deployment.
- Coordinate development team personnel scheduling for on-call responsibilities. Help maintain access lists, integrations, and other appropriate configurations for the operational monitoring of the Product, including Pager Duty, New Relic, and other systems as deemed necessary.
- Use approved tools for the Product and infrastructure of the Product to observe, diagnose, and predict issues appropriate for a cloud-based application.
- Assess, recommend, and implement new software tools as needed or directed.
- Assist Director of Software Engineering with headcount planning and other budget planning needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Cofense will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Cofense reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Detailed engineering experience with Ruby on Rails application, including all related and relevant technologies.
- Familiarity with AWS Services.
- Excellent understanding of Agile software engineering frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Understanding of deployment methodologies in use for assigned products and projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- 3+ years personnel management experience.
- 5+ years active software engineering experience and in depth knowledge of the assigned projects specific technology stack.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Strong preference given for bachelor and advanced degrees in software technology related fields.
Cofense is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis [protected class] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable national, federal, state or local laws and ordinances. We adhere to these commitments in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, and discipline.
Back to top