Reporting to the Senior Director of Software Engineering, the Manager of Software Engineering is responsible for providing technical support and leadership to assigned Cofense software engineering teams.
- Participate in the building, maintenance, and nurturing teams of developers within an Agile/Scrum environment in support of the development and maintenance of Cofense software engineering and delivery goals.
- Provide technical mentorship, coaching, and guidance to Developers, to include code reviews and coaching through pair programming.
- Perform the duties of a manager with direct reports. These duties include, but are not limited to, conducting regular one-on-ones, providing feedback, coaching, delegation, hiring, termination, performance reviews, conflict resolution, and team building.
- Partner with Product Owner(s) to help with technical issues represented by items in the Product Backlog.
- Accountable for ensuring that all technical requirements are defined and actionable well in advance of backlog refinement meetings. This is to include dependency identification, technical conflict remediation, general technology selection and consistency.
- Partner with Product Owner on decisions regarding prioritization of Technical Debt, Operational, and Functionality backlog items.
- Accountable for partnering with Product Owner to successfully capture feature goals in order to assure adequate documentation and assist with initial effort sizing estimates.
- Accountable for providing initial Backlog item size estimations to the Scrum Product Owner to assure that the tickets don't represent too much work to be accepted into a Sprint by the Scrum Team and to aid with prioritization.
- Interface as a technical resource with 3rd parties when needed.
- Remain effective at staying in tune with the direction of the business to assist the Product Owner and Teams in reprioritizing tasks when appropriate.
- Provide software/system deployment oversight and ensuring successful deployment
- Manage and participate in on-call responsibilities.
- Assess, recommend, and implement new software tools as needed or directed.
- Assist Senior Director of Software Engineering with headcount planning and other budget planning needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Fluency with the Ruby programming language and Rails framework.
- Good understanding of AWS, Docker, and other similar infrastructure-focused technologies.
- Excellent understanding of Agile software engineering frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Understanding of deployment methodologies in use for assigned products and projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- 5+ years active software engineering experience and in depth knowledge of the assigned projects specific technology stack.
- Bachelor's degree preferred. Strong preference given for bachelor and advanced degrees in software technology related fields.
- Detailed engineering experience with Ruby on Rails applications and AWS, including all related and relevant technologies.
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Cofense will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Cofense reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without notice.
Cofense is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis [protected class] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable national, federal, state or local laws and ordinances. We adhere to these commitments in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, and discipline.