Java Instructor - Full-Stack Web Development
If you’re passionate about coding and software development, helping people learn, and deepening your own developer skill set, then this job was designed for you.
Our instructors serve as lecturers and mentors to our students, helping them build problem solving skills and refine their software development skills. You’ll also help define and refine the curriculum to stay current with relevant and developing technologies.
You’ll teach 5-6, 16-week programs each year, and when not in the classroom, will engage in activities such as curriculum updates, building new exercises, scoping projects for apprenticeship work, and interviewing students for future classes.
Each class will be no more than 25 students, with two Instructors and one Teaching Assistant, and you will have a VP of Product & Student Experience to support you in resourcing and overseeing the success of each student in our program. Outside of your teaching responsibilities, you’ll be an active part of the development community in our city and will be expected to periodically participate in community-related events or workshops.
- Support the ongoing strategy and mission of the Codeup career accelerator.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of technical training content, lab exercises, presentations, and accompanying materials.
- Deliver instructor-led classroom training to adult learners in a highly knowledgeable, empathetic, and constructive manner.
- Work with key employers and internal stakeholders to ensure accurate, effective training content.
- Mentor and train internal and external authorized Instructors, mentors, and speakers, in support of the In-Class Workshop Series.
- 3-5 years of experience in programming, systems architecture or systems administration.
- 1+ years of experience as a trainer, or dedicated senior-level mentor, in Java and related technologies.
- 3+ years of experience in architecting, developing, and supporting applications written in Java.
- Excellent at conducting classroom training for related technology products and services.
- Excellent oral presentation skills, interpersonal communication, and writing skills.
- Recent experience architecting, deploying, and operating Internet scale applications.
- Recent coding experience in Java.
- A strong presence and a demonstrated ability to lead & inspire a classroom of adult learners.
- Self-sufficient, motivated, and enthusiastic individual with proven success of taking ownership of daily tasks and collaborative, company-wide training projects.
- Life-long learner who continues to grow her or his software development skills through self-teaching, peer-to-peer learning, and attending community events and lectures.
- Desire to be a thought leader and software development expert in both local and national tech communities.
- Ability to apply newly-learned technologies in order to produce original projects and products that benefit the Codeup community.
Back to top