Product Manager, Social & Messaging
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play?
CNN is the worldwide leader in news. On our owned and operated platforms, we are hands-down the #1 news source across the globe. But in today's distributed media landscape, we are targeting third-party platforms more and more. We call these platforms "Off-Platform" and it is our mission to be #1 on each of them. These Off-Platform products include apps like Snapchat, Apple News, Facebook Messenger, Kik…and any other innovative experience that emerges. This role will tag team with a counterpart Off-Platform Product Manager, and will focus on social and messaging products.
As a Product Manager, you will be a critical part of shaping CNN's future in the Off-Platform world. We view Product as the glue that holds the larger cross-functional team together, so it's critical that you are just as much collaborative as able to lead strategically by influence. You will be responsible for guiding products through the full product lifecycle, ensuring that any move we make aligns with what's best for the business in both the short and long term. To be successful in this brave new world, you must also have deep chops in partnership management, acting as the day-to-day point of contact and CNN brand liaison to high profile platforms and vendors, as well as the SME liaison between CNN and Turner.
What does an ideal candidate look like?
- Passionate about the ever evolving off-platform landscape and intuitively understands the unique role publishers can play in this space
- Can talk shop with cross-functional partners (Design, Editorial / Social, Development, Research, Ad Sales), but knows when he/she needs to defer to the experts
- Forward thinking, creative, and inquisitive by nature but also grounded, results-driven and knows how to execute on time and on budget
- A flexible and hyper organized self-starter who can thrive in a fast-paced, 24/7 breaking new environment and highly matrixed organization
- Analytically inclined and knows how to harness the power of research, data, and industry trends to grow the product and move the business forward
- Extremely attentive to detail yet knows how to take a step back and look at the big picture, balancing short term and longer term objectives
- Strong interpersonal skills -- able to establish trust, credibility, and synergy with a cross-functional team of diverse viewpoints and ideas
What will you be doing?
- Manage the full product lifecycle for multiple Off-Platform products/platforms, which may include LINE, Snapchat, and/or other Social / Emerging Media channels
- Work with Product leadership and other business stakeholders to articulate a product vision and product roadmap for products within your scope
- Optimally evolve a product through its lifecycle by motivating, unifying, and shepherding a team of cross functional resources
- Keep abreast of trends, business and technology developments within your product domain and make recommendations for the product roadmap…effectively be the leading expert in your product domain.
- Convert product roadmap into discrete requirements that can be used in the software estimation and delivery process
- Provide on-the-ground leadership of the activities required to bring products to fruition. Chief among these activities will be the management of an agile development process
- Coordinate and manage end-to-end activities related to product launch
- Track and manage performance of launched product and consumer feedback. Understand performance of your product against stated objectives and goals.
What do we need from you?
- Bachelor's degree in business, technology, or journalism
- 3-5 years of digital product management experience (preferably mobile / off platform focused) or tangentially relevant experience (social media team, digital team) in a media company or agency
- Proven experience building and successfully scaling products or off-platform brand presences for a large organization
- Proven experience managing external and internal partnerships and vendors
- Proven experience with relevant analytic tools and platforms (e.g. Adobe Omniture, Google Analytics)
- Proven experience with product and project management tools
- Familiarity with product enabling technologies and the role they play in the delivery of digital consumer news products including APIs, RSS, and JSON
But wait, there's more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2016 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands like HBO, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of CNN Digital's Employees
Robert searches out, shoots, and edits all kinds of stories for the CNN Money Division. He also oversees the purchase of new camera equipment to advance the company’s storytelling skills.
Back to top