Senior Director, Server & Data Infrastructure
- Sunnyvale, CA
Senior Director, Server & Data Infrastructure
Every day, Clover devices handle the core card and point-of-sale processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchants' customers. Our devices and platform form the backbone of millions of payment interactions between merchants and their customers daily.
We are looking for a highly skilled, experienced, and motivated leader to lead and grow our server & data infrastructure engineering group. You will innovate and be able to solve scalability and reliability problems. You will participate in product direction and road-map planning, project execution scheduling, and hiring engineers to scale our systems. A successful candidate will be a deeply curious individual who brings technical and leadership expertise, and ability to work within a fast-paced startup culture in a large company that has broad business impact.
As a Technical Manager, you will be expected to speak authoritatively on behalf of your team and your technical knowledge should demonstrate both depth and breadth. You will be responsible for aligning your team, with product and engineering organizations. Leveraging the strengths of individual team members, delegating tasks appropriately and managing the delivery of long term projects will all be critical tasks for this role. A Technical Manager has deep knowledge in their domain and is a sought after thought leader across the organization. They have both management and technical expertise and actively participate in the organization's planning processes.
- Manage a team of high functioning server & data engineers
- Work with the team to define and deliver short, middle, and long term strategies for scaling applications and infrastructure.
- Partner with teams throughout the organization to build the relationships and trust necessary to improve the performance, reliability and availability of the infrastructure
- Enable the team to deliver projects and roll out new products at scale
- Experience managing and mentoring diverse individuals (diverse in both experience and skill set)
- Practical knowledge and experience working in public cloud environments (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Interested in building creative solutions to challenging scalability problems
- Create and manage roadmap for the server and data infrastructure engineering team to help scale the infrastructure. Align with quarterly, annual product roadmap to meet the growth goals of the organization.
- Develop microservice framework for existing monoliths, with developer empowerment and shift left as key principles. Evangelize the framework with Clover’s application development teams and bring adaption to the framework.
- Manage the health of monoliths, including but not limited to inflow of changes into monolith, releases, incident management, logging, monitoring etc.
- Conduct blameless postmortems for incidents in the monoliths, and diligently follow through learnings and remediations.
- Research and evaluate new technology products for pilot or proof of concept by technical teams. Bring a level of maturity around costs for scale into the evaluation at the POC as well as full scale use of a tool/technology.
- Develop and present reference architecture, and implementation plans from concept to product offering for complex performance and scale problems.
- Develop and build performance, load test infrastructure and framework for infrastructure and application changes.
- Build out data pipeline to support richer analytics and reporting for our merchants and internal business needs. Our focus is on its security, scalability, reliability, and performance.
- 10+ years of building backend & data infrastructure for scale and exponential growth in business
- 7+ years of team management experience.
- 3+ years of experience creating and implementing strategic plans and roadmaps at the executive level for infrastructure initiatives.
- 3+ years of experience with technical requirements, design, testing, implementation and production rollout.
- 3+ years of experience conducting project meetings, presentations and status reporting.
- 3+ years of experience with Agile project methodologies (Daily Standup, Sprint Planning and Sprint Retrospective meetings)
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong Knowledge and understanding of Microservice frameworks
- Effective in building partnerships with senior technical, functional and business leaders to forward short-term and longer term initiatives
- Familiarity with any of the technologies used in our stack if a strong plus - java, RESTful APIs, python, MYSql, Kafka, Redis, Memcached, Snowflake, Wavefront, Google Cloud Platform, and Kubernetes
- Strong familiarity with horizontal core services such as authentication, authorization, placement, tokenization, and cross-device data replication
Back to top