Systems Engineer - DDoS Protection
What you'll do
You will work as part of the Firewall engineering team in London building, running and improving the operational resilience of the system which protects our customers from an average of 44 billion cyber threats per day.
You will work using Go, Rust, Lua, Kafka, ClickHouse and PostgreSQL to build and run:
- APIs to allow customers to configure firewall protections for their zone
- the engine that applies these protections and runs on our edge platform around the world
- our analytics pipeline which is the data source for building machine learning models, and which shows customers the attacks they’re being protected against
You’ll use your prior experience of launching and operating global scale services to ensure that all these systems meet high operational standards. This will involve working on the technical design of systems to improve predictability and resilience, and working with other engineers to improve development processes, operational understanding and monitoring and alerting systems.
Your code will impact upwards of 2.8 billion people/month. Your work will focus on building robust, secure and high performance distributed systems. We are a small engineering team operating at massive scale, so what you do will have a huge influence.
We work in agile teams, so you will be supported by colleagues, and collaborate with other teams around the company.
Examples of desirable skills and experience:
We do not require you to have all of these!
- Building and operating an enterprise scale distributed system
- Engineering software systems for reliability
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong experience of tooling and process automation
- How to talk about your work to technical and non-technical audience
- Working as part of an agile software development team
- Understand how the internet works at a protocol level
- Good unix knowledge
- Understanding of performance analysis and debugging (with tools like perf, sar, strace)
- Understanding of security issues and responsibilities
- Building high volume logging and analytics pipelines (we use Kafka and Clickhouse)
- Designing and building APIs
As mentioned, we work with languages such as Lua, Go, Rust and Python. We are looking for engineers willing to learn and grow quickly in a fast paced environment. We also use: Nginx, Salt, PostgreSQL, Redis, Docker, Prometheus, Mesos / Marathon, Kubernetes.
A degree is not required for this position.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Back to top