Software Engineer - Spectrum
- Austin, TX
About the Department
Cloudflare’s Engineering Team builds and runs the software that handles trillions of requests per month. We also build and run the internal tools that builds and runs our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development and the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features and functionality and scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the world’s largest networks with data centers in 165+ cities worldwide.
What you'll do
In this role you will work on Spectrum, a new product that extends Cloudflare’s security and performance beyond web traffic. As an engineer on the Spectrum team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the technologies and systems that comprise Spectrum, both in our high-performance global edge network and in our centralized microservice cluster.
Examples of software systems that you’ll be working with include:
- A Layer 4 proxy running at Cloudflare’s Edge, responsible for making any and all TCP/UDP traffic from clients to The Edge as fast and secure as possible
- A global data pipeline that processes hundreds of thousands of events per second, used to deliver insights about Spectrum to customers and internal teams alike
- REST APIs that enable customers to quickly and easily protect their services via Spectrum
You will participate in all stages of the software development lifecycle, from designing and documenting systems, to writing code and automated tests, to planning, managing, and monitoring production software deployments. You will work with a wide range of technologies and programming languages, including Go, Rust, Python, REST APIs, ClickHouse, Kafka, Salt, SQL, Grafana, Docker, Kubernetes, and Marathon.
Other responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with internal teams (security, network engineering, SRE, product management) to design effective and scalable solutions to difficult technical problems
- Reviewing work from your peers throughout all stages of the development lifecycle
- Working with our support teams to ensure customer delight
- Mentoring team members to help bring out their best work
- Representing the team within the company through blogging and tech talks
Because you’ll be solving problems of massive scale and significance, and shaping the future of performance on the Internet, you are a growth-oriented individual who enjoys being outside of your comfort zone. You are comfortable in a fast-paced but sane work environment.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Programming experience in Go, Rust, C, or C++.
- Working knowledge of modern Unix/Linux development and runtime environments.
- Strong low level debugging skills.
- A solid grasp of networking protocols in any of Layers 3-7 of the OSI Model.
- Experience in implementing secure and highly-available distributed systems.
- Strong ability to debug issues in complex systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Curiosity and empathy are coveted traits here!
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
220.127.116.11: We released 18.104.22.168 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Back to top