At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
The Cloudflare Customer Support Team solves complicated problems and answers technical inquiries via email, chat, phone, and social media. From Enterprise corporations with petabytes of web traffic to Wordpress bloggers using our platform for free, we are here to help. Being the eyes and ears of Cloudflare, we act as the real-time voice of the customer to help communicate their needs and real-world use cases back to the rest of the company - for better service and future product development.
What you'll do
The Cloudflare Senior Technical Support Engineer will perform deep, technical troubleshooting for complex, escalated issues. This role owns the customer escalation process and works with various Product and Engineering teams to identify product bugs, network problems, and platform issues. Escalation Engineers foster a close relationship with SRE, Network, Engineering and Product teams. They act as an escalation point, isolate/replicate problems, and gather technical information/expectation.
- Provide coverage (shift rotation including weekends) for technical troubleshooting of escalated issues
- Triage Customer Escalation issues to find the quickest most efficient path of resolution
- Work cross-functionally with various teams across the company from engineering to sales
- 2-3 years of customer-facing technical experience, preferably technical support or system reliability engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to disseminate clear and appropriate information to both business and technical audiences
- Able to manage multiple priorities, commitments, and projects
Core competencies (“Desired skills, knowledge and experience”)
- Extensive technical support experience
- Experience troubleshooting application protocols (L7 - DNS, HTTP, etc)
- Experience troubleshooting network infrastructure (L3/L4)
- Expert with Linux command line tools (curl, dig, git, traceroute, mtr)
- Expert at analyzing data using tools like grafana, kibana, and SQL
- Able to clarify complex technical issues and coordinate efforts to resolve
- Able to identify and share/suggest process improvements
- Demonstrated leadership, prior mentoring experience
- Self-motivated, self-directed, strong relationship building, can positively influence the actions of others, team player
- Comfortable handling inbound and outbound customer calls
- Experience with regular expressions
- Experience managing/configuring non-HTTP applications (email, DNS, FTP, SSH, etc.)
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
126.96.36.199: We released 188.8.131.52 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.