Firewall Security Analyst
About The Team
The Managed Rules team is working on building the best in class Web Application Firewall (WAF). We do this by maintaining the rules that make up the WAF (based on wirefilter) and proactively looking for the next vulnerabilities across levels 3-7 of the OSI Model. We can do this by using our massive amounts of data, and work in tandem with vendors to add WAF-based protections before vulnerabilities are disclosed. We accomplish these goals by building the next generation of tools to quickly identify and address vulnerabilities. In response our tooling enables us to iterate quickly on rules, as well as deploying with confidence to our millions of customers. We are a polyglot team that utilizes Rust, Go, and Python to build our services and tools.
What you’ll do as a Firewall Security Analyst
Cloudflare is seeking a talented and passionate Security Analyst to lead and manage various projects related to our Firewall Managed Rules offering. This position will be based in London, UK or Lisbon, Portugal.
Your main role will focus around making our Managed Rules better. In this role you will partner with engineering, product, delivery managers and customer facing teams. Examples of duties include:
- Own the Cloudflare Managed Rules: structure, categorization, quality, default action and status;
- Publish and create research blog posts related to rule updates on the Cloudflare facing blog;
- Monitoring vulnerability databases and other sources online (and own/improve the process) to drive rule updates;
- Priorities improvement work based on input from research and customer facing teams;
- Review vulnerability scans with open source tools and customer pen test reports to ensure good rule coverage;
- Provide feedback on missing features and functions to the product and engineering teams for development;
- Triage customer facing escalations;
- And more. :-)
As one of the founding team members in this role, you will have the opportunity to define the future of the security analysts on the Managed Rules team as it grows over time. Security Analysts roles at Cloudflare provide you with a myriad of opportunities to effectively define and accomplish strategic goals. The ideal candidate is process driven, enjoys working with people from different teams, and has a drive towards successful delivery.
- Strong understanding of web security concepts (common vulnerabilities and exploits);
- Good understanding of IT networking concepts;
- Good understanding of regular expressions and encoding standards;
- Experience with threat detection and analysis, signature based rule development or similar preferred;
- Comfortable managing projects with tight deadlines that affect millions of customers and billions of requests per day;
- Excellent oral and written communication;
- Track record in identifying improvement opportunities, conceptualizing the solutions and developing tactical project plans;
- Internet security and penetration testing experience, vulnerability scanning experience, research and content writing on IT security related topics;
- Experience with project management tools (e.g.Confluence, JIRA);
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
18.104.22.168: We released 22.214.171.124 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Back to top