EMEA Employment Counsel
- London, United Kingdom
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What You’ll Do
Cloudflare’s business requires a world class Legal team to help the company deal with complex matters by anticipating complications and distractions, and guiding the company around those obstacles. We’re looking for a new team member who can help foster our unique corporate philosophy and approach, in which the security and privacy of our customers are paramount. This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented, energetic and friendly employment lawyer to join our legal team based in London (UK). You will play a key role advising on Cloudflare’s employment matters in EMEA, as well as providing legal support for our broader legal compliance initiatives. The perfect candidate is passionate about employment law and can channel that passion into solving complex problems and novel legal issues in a fast-paced multi-jurisdictional environment. As part of the job, you will:
- Provide effective, business-focused, day-to-day advice to various internal stakeholders in EMEA, including our HR business partners, recruiting, rewards, new countries, and mobility teams on a broad range of issues relating to employment law across the region.
- Deliver clear practical advice that enables our business partners to achieve their objectives while mitigating legal risk and considering the interests of all stakeholders.
- Effectively collaborate with colleagues around the world, including the team at our San Francisco headquarters, and the rest of EMEA where necessary.
- Advise and proactively work on the following areas: recruitment, contractual issues, immigration, whistleblowing, investigations, disciplinaries, terminations, contingent workforce/employee classification, gender pay reporting, diversity, inclusion and belonging initiatives, employment disputes and litigation, employee benefits, and other employment-related matters.
- Draft, review and revise internal processes, policies and workflows.
- Provide in person and online training to employees in EMEA on employment related matters, including harassment and discrimination.
- Work closely with outside counsel where appropriate and supervise the provision of cost-effective, business-orientated legal advice.
- Keep up-to-date and advise on relevant laws, regulations, and industry trends on employee issues affecting Cloudflare’s businesses in EMEA.
- Undertake special projects and support other legal compliance program initiatives or locations outside EMEA.
- A minimum of 6+ PQE with relevant employment law experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department.
- Strong academic record and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer.
- Experience of advising employers on employment law issues across EMEA is a huge plus.
- Ability to advise on employment laws in the UK, Portugal, Germany, and France preferred.
- Qualified in the UK, Germany, France or another EU law jurisdiction.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is a must. Fluency in one or more additional languages is a plus.
- Detail orientated, well organized and technically-adept.
- Ability to manage multiple matters / projects for multiple teams.
- Ability to work in a team, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience developing and presenting training to employees and managers a plus.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, messages and anything else in a precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers.
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to be pragmatic, use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Back to top