Data Scientist, Managed Rules
- London, United Kingdom
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list, and ranked among the World's 10 Most Innovative Enterprise Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About The Team
The Managed Rules team is working on building the best in class Web Application Firewall (WAF). We do this by maintaining the rules that make up the WAF (based on wirefilter) and proactively looking for the next vulnerabilities across levels 3-7 of the OSI Model. We can do this by using our massive amounts of data, and work in tandem with vendors to add WAF-based protections before vulnerabilities are disclosed. We accomplish these goals by building the next generation of tools to quickly identify and address vulnerabilities. In response our tooling enables us to iterate quickly on rules, as well as deploying with confidence to our millions of customers. We are a polyglot team that utilizes Rust, Go, and Python to build our services and tools.
This is a senior role. Part of helping spin up this team is to define the responsibilities. This includes crafting the KPIs, desired outputs for data science in the context of the WAF team’s goals, as well as milestones and implementation details. We anticipate a diverse set of additional responsibilities that includes the following:
- Partner with product managers, data engineers, and other key stakeholders in understanding the need for data insights and predictive analytics in the area of security and fraud detection in a globally distributed environment.
- Understand data landscape i.e tooling, tech stack, source systems etc. and work closely with the MRAP engineers to improve the data collection and quality.
- Understand business/product strategy and high-level roadmap and align analysis efforts to enable them with data insights and help achieve their strategic goals.
- Ability to define and spot macro and micro levels trends with statistical significance on a regular basis and understand key drivers driving those trends.
- Define, implement, and train statistical, machine learning, and deep learning models.
- Use software engineering best practices to publish model scores/insights/learnings at scale within the company and externally as part of our Security thought leadership.
Understand data landscape, i.e tooling, tech stack, source systems and work closely with the data engineers and machine learning engineers to improve the data collection and quality.
- 5+ years of data scientist experience with proven industry experience in a large scale environment (PBs scale, globally distributed teams).
- Strong experience in scientific computing using Python, Scala, or equivalent.
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive and BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent).
- Experience in defining, implementing, and training statistical, machine learning, and deep learning models.
- Experience in using software engineering best practices to publish modelscores/insights/learnings at scale within the company.
- Proven ability to define and spot macro and micro levels trends with statistical significance on a regular basis and understand key drivers driving those trends.
- Experience working with and processing structured, unstructured, and semi-structured data.
- Proven track record of applying data insights and machine learning in order to address business needs and drive revenue.
- Strong communication and presentation skills catered to different audiences within the company.
- Capable of working closely with business, engineering, and product teams to ensure data initiatives are aligned with business needs.
- Strong data analytical skills, taking initiative in deriving data insights and thread intelligence, and proposing models and solutions that can lead to quick and effective proof-of-concept (POC).
- Strong audience-focused presentation and storytelling skills focused on key takeaways in a crisp and concise manner.
Nice To Haves
Experience with cyber security, fraud detection, Internet & network protocols
- Experience in productizing machine learning models
- Familiarity writing and optimizing advanced SQL queries in Clickhouse
- Good Linux/UNIX systems knowledge
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Back to top