Android Mobile Engineer
- Lisbon, Portugal
About the department
Emerging Technology and Incubation is where new, bold, products are built and released within Cloudflare. Rather than being constrained by the structures which make Cloudflare a massively successful business, we are able to leverage them to deliver entirely new tools and products to our customers. Cloudflare’s edge and network make it possible to solve problems at massive scale and efficiency which would be impossible for almost any other organization.
At any given moment, Emerging Technology and Incubation is engaged in a half dozen projects, each driven by a small technical team of just a handful of developers. These teams are empowered to drive the product and technical vision to build things which are, in the words of our CTO, ‘audacious’. Unlike an R&D division, Emerging Technology and Incubation doesn’t build theoretical or abstract tools, we brought six products to market in the first quarter of this year alone.
What you'll do
The product you will work on will fundamentally change how people interact with the internet. You will be making the internet faster and safer for everyone around the world. You are expected to lead the mobile development for an Android app at Cloudflare and work closely with Designers and Product Managers to push the limits of mobile UI and UX.
- Be comfortable making technical decisions and maintaining a codebase with best practices.
- Be willing to take responsibility for ensuring that what you build delights customers and achieves the goals of the team and the organization.
- Wish to work with talented peers by submitting and reviewing pull requests, engaging in design discussions, and teaming up to tackle new projects.
- Be an advocate for ways the product and the team can work better.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
You are user-focused and thrive in a fast-paced and goal-driven environment. You consider building reliable and capable software to be just the first step in solving user problems. You are confident building software which works reliably because you’ve made many of the mistakes already. You’d rather ship than overengineer. You have a passion for growing yourself and your teammates and always have your sights set on getting better. You strive to have a positive impact and leave a positive impression on everyone you meet. You want to be a part of building something you can be proud of.
- 5+ years of experience developing on Android.
- A passion for Android and a commitment to building award-winning apps for the platform.
- Expert level understanding of Java, Kotlin, the SDK and development tools.
- Extensive experience with networking at all layers of the protocol stack, and the Android internals which power them.
- A track record of publishing apps in Google Play.
- Great communication skills.
- A kind and generous attitude towards customers and coworkers alike.
- Experience with security protocols and standards
- Experience with HTTP networking and VPN technologies.
- Experience with network performance monitoring and tuning
- An appreciation and understanding of unit and integration testing
- A background releasing and maintaining apps which are installed up on millions of devices
- iOS development experience
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Back to top