Software Engineer, DevOps
At Clara, our new DevOps team is a key part of our strategy as a technology-focussed finance company. We are looking for a strong DevOps Engineer to become part of our team. In this role, you will architect, implement, and administer our AWS-based infrastructure. In addition, you will lead and contribute to the development of tools that help us monitor, configure, and scale our infrastructure. You will use your experience and expertise in both preventative and responsive situations. DevOps is already part of our engineering team’s DNA, so rather than dealing with daily operations and on-call schedules, you’ll get to create the tools and frameworks that empower and guide our developers to operate their own services effectively.
Clara is both a tech company and a lender, backed by top venture capital firms Redpoint Ventures and Venrock Capital. We’re based in downtown SF and we’ve brought together the some of the best people from Bay Area tech, financial services, and the federal government – a rare mix that allows us to take on the biggest problem in consumer finance.
We’re united by the belief that technology can drastically improve the consumer experience and operational efficiency of the mortgage industry. Current interfaces and tools for borrowers and mortgage professionals are stuck in the stone age - comically outdated web forms; awkward, brittle and inefficient desktop applications. We’re changing that in two key ways: first, by giving borrowers the tools that put them back in control of the most important financial decision of their lives. Second, by saving mortgage professionals from the drudgery of today’s tools and making their jobs both interesting and meaningful. Come join us!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Make the most efficient use of DevOps technologies such as Docker, Terraform, and Chef. Implement the right tool for the job when necessary
- Use understanding and empathy for your customers to produce a highly efficient environment
- Contribute to an environment that enables our engineering teams to build, release, and operate their own microservices
- Participate in architecting, implementing, and administering our AWS-based infrastructure to support consumer-facing web applications, backend business workflow engines, and data pipelines
- Use best-in-class monitoring and self-healing techniques to efficiently scale with our business
- Work with, teach, and learn from an awesome team that is fun, devoted to personal growth, and committed to building something meaningful, lasting, and impactful
- You see both sides of DevOps - development and operations, and see how they are intertwined and influence each other
- You care about continuous integration, reliable deployments, sensible configuration management, etc., because they catch errors early and improve both system stability and developer efficiency
- You’re lazy in the right ways - you have a focus on building tools, systems and patterns, not manual firefighting
- You have built reusable systems, and are familiar with modern tools to reliably, consistently and repeatedly manage them - solid, supported, and maintained tools; not: post-it notes, tribal knowledge, or prayer
- You are well-versed in security best practices and defense mechanisms, and you have practiced them consistently
- 4+ years of experience as a Software or DevOps Engineer
- 2+ years managing a non-trivial system architecture in AWS. Our current system has ~80 nodes serving 3 front end applications, with more than a dozen back-end services across several environments; this is likely to grow significantly to support on-demand environments, more complex analytics, additional workflows, etc.
Back to top