Data Science Research & Development - Internship
Are you passionate about model strategy and research design? Do you want to learn from data scientists and have an immediate impact on our work? Civis Analytics is looking for an Data Science Research and Development intern to join our team!
Civis Analytics was born on the campaign trail, with CEO Dan Wagner and our founding members spearheading the 2012 Obama for America analytics team. Since then, our DC and Chicago teams have been building software and growing rapidly among a steadily developing client base in education, energy, government, healthcare, media, nonprofits, and politics. It’s our mission to empower organizations to find truth and guide actions that will change their world for the better.
The Data Science Research and Development team is responsible for developing the fundamental data science methods, techniques, and best practices that power the mission of our company. Our diverse work includes predictive analytics, algorithm development, experimental design, natural language processing, visualization, and survey research.
As an intern on our Chicago-based Research and Development team, you will learn modeling strategy, research design, and software engineering from data scientists on the cutting edge of the field. You will work on collaborative projects through which you will make real contributions to the best practices that back our products and our consulting. To help you learn and succeed, you will be paired with a data scientist mentor from our team — we strive to grow the skills of our interns.
Past interns have worked on a variety of projects including:
- Applications of neural network autoencoders on large, sparse datasets from social media, television viewership, and medical diagnostics
- MCMC code development and Bayesian statistical modeling of time series data from surveys
- Development of production code for resource optimization
We are looking for 2019 graduates only. Our summer internships are a full-time, 10 week commitment with two start dates to accommodate both semester and quarter students. Civis is looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
To learn more about our culture, check out Civis Analytics on The Muse!
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree program in statistics, computer science, economics, physics or other quantitative field
- Experience using applied statistics or machine learning
- Proficiency with Python or R
- Experience working with imperfect data
- Passion and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Masters or PhD student in statistics, computer science, economics, physics or other quantitative field
Specialization in a particular area of statistics or machine learning, e.g. neural networks, Markov Chain Monte Carlo, network analysis, data engineering, natural language processing, optimization, etc.
Meet Some of Civis Analytics's Employees
Director of Data Science
Katie oversees creation of software as part of the Research and Development Department. She also performs in-depth research to identify and prepare for new data science trends.
Back to top