Applied Data Scientist - Internship
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Science intern to join our team!
Civis Analytics was born on the campaign trail, with CEO Dan Wagner and our founding members spearheading the 2012 Obama for America analytics team. Since then, our DC and Chicago teams have been building software and growing rapidly among a steadily developing client base in education, energy, government, healthcare, media, nonprofits, and politics. It’s our mission to empower organizations to find truth and guide actions that will change their world for the better.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation.
ADS structure hard problems, analyze large data sets, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, create client materials, and ensure on-time progress and delivery of our projects.
We are looking for 2019 graduates only. Our summer internships are a full-time 10 week commitment with two start dates to accommodate both semester and quarter students. Students in mathematics, statistics, economics, political science, social science or a similarly analytical subject, and graduate students with strong quantitative skills are also encouraged to apply.
We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
To learn more about our culture, check out Civis Analytics on The Muse!
- A demonstrated history of using data in research or applied settings to solve complex problems or make strategic decisions
- Experience identifying and adapting to imperfect data
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Experience with statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc) and statistical concepts
- Experience with Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Advanced degree in mathematics, statistics, social science or a similarly analytical subject
- Experience or expertise with SQL
- Expertise with statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Experience putting together and giving client-ready presentations
Meet Some of Civis Analytics's Employees
Director of Data Science
Katie oversees creation of software as part of the Research and Development Department. She also performs in-depth research to identify and prepare for new data science trends.
Back to top