Applied Data Science Manager
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Science Manager to join our team!
Civis Analytics was born on the campaign trail, with CEO Dan Wagner and our founding members spearheading the 2012 Obama for America analytics team. Since then, our DC and Chicago teams have been building software and growing rapidly among a steadily developing client base in education, energy, government, healthcare, media, nonprofits, and politics. It’s our mission to empower organizations to find truth and guide actions that will change their world for the better.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science.
The Civis ADS Team is part of a multi-firm Integrated Communications Team, which supports all outreach, marketing and advertising conducted in support of the 2020 Decennial Census. As part of this team, Civis works closely with our partners to develop the data analytics that drive all aspects of Communications strategy, as the US Census Bureau strives to ensure that as many Americans as possible self-respond to the Census, and that all segments of the US population understand the importance of participation
As a manager on Civis’ multidisciplinary Census 2020 team, you will be a key member of the team designing and building creative predictive modeling solutions for the Census Integrated Communications Team. In addition, you will work across our engineering, social science, and data research teams, and have the support of our company’s 100+ data scientists and engineers to help bring cutting-edge predictive analytics to this important undertaking. You will also lead the research design of projects and help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company while also serving as a key voice in the development of Civis' products.
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Federal agencies, Fortune 500 companies, high-profile startups, and national non-profit foundations.
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work, identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and developing expertise and credibility in their relevant industries.
- Manage relationship with clients and client-facing communication. Communicates all facets of the work with clients of varying technical experience or familiarity with our methods.
- Manage a team through the process of defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work.
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed.
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission.
- Manage teams of data scientists and analysts
- Travel requirements <15%
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, etc).
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics to solve real-world business challenges.
- Specific expertise in survey research, machine learning algorithms, and causal inference is a plus.
- This will be demonstrated by having at least 5 years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges.
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time.
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers.
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.).
- Expertise in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc).
- Experience in a startup, rapidly growing company, or fast-paced professional services firm.
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients.
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to executive audiences.
Meet Some of Civis Analytics's Employees
Director of Data Science
Katie oversees creation of software as part of the Research and Development Department. She also performs in-depth research to identify and prepare for new data science trends.
Back to top