Water Quality Specialist - Industrial Inspector
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
The Industrial Inspector exists to sample and inspect industrial commercial establishments for compliance with City Code and to support regulatory activities for Industrial Pretreatment, Backflow and Stormwater Programs.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in the selection process to include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Drug Screen
- 39 Month Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time. Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- Two years' experience in the field of: water quality, environmental quality, backflow, stormwater or industrial pretreatment.
- An Associate's degree in a physical or biological science or related area may substitute for the two year experience requirement.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
The Scottsdale Water ResourcesDivision offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program for those employees who obtain certifications above what is required of their positions. The department recognizes the intrinsic value of operator certifications and the added value to the city of having a workforce that possess them.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Must possess or obtain within one year of hire, and maintain a Grade I operator certification, as assigned, from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality in either water or wastewater as appropriate.
- Must possess, or obtain within one year of hire or promotion, and maintain, an Environmental Sampling Certificate from the Arizona Department of Health Services and Backflow Tester Certification if required for assignment.
- Must possess or obtain within one year of hire or promotion, and maintain, a Backflow Tester Certification recognized by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
Industrial Inspector Assignment Functions:
- Inspects industrial and commercial establishments such as: restaurants, gas stations, dry cleaners, automotive repair shops, car washes,industries, and manufacturers to ensure compliance with ordinances and permit requirements governing the discharge of industrial waste, backflow and stormwater.
- Perform industrial and commercial wastewater pretreatment permit, compliance and enforcement inspections.
- Explains the purpose and objectives of the industrial waste pretreatment program, backflow and stormwaterprograms to: owners, managers, and operators of inspected commercial and industrial establishments.
- Inspects the dimensions, operations, and maintenance of: sand traps, settling tanks, backflow equipment clarifiers, neutralizing tanks, grease removal equipment, and other equipment used in: the treatment, disposal, and control of industrial waste; draws samples for laboratory tests; notes location, use, and quantity of floor drains.
- Operates and installs industrial waste sampling and floor monitoring equipment.
- Monitors inventory of equipment, materials, and supplies: ensures availability of adequate materials to conduct work activities.
- Reads and interprets construction plans and specifications; determines whether industrial waste permits have been issued; enforces the provisions of such permits; issues citations when necessary; reviews plans for correction of pollution or violations.
- Inspects new building and remodels construction projects for compliance with the backflow program.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Tasks requirelifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds); may involve: the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds).
- Exposure to dirt, noise, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature extremes, hazardous materials, confined spaces, machinery, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim light, toxic agents, disease, pathogenic substances, or explosives.
- Operate a motor vehicle to travel to/from various locations.
- Work outside of a regular workweek, to include weekends, overtime, on a holiday, in an emergency and on an on-call schedule.
Click Here to view the entire job description.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top