Water Maintenance Technician II - Wells & Boosters
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east.Â Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
About The PositionÂ
This position performs a variety of skilled work in maintaining and repairing the City's waterÂwells and booster sites, regulatory and related equipment.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in the selection process to include a panel interview.Â Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Drug Screen
- Pulmonary Function Test
- 39 Month Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED)equivalent.
- TwoÂyears' experience in water pump operation and water delivery systems.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Individuals in this classification must possess, or obtain withinÂsix months of promotion or hire, a valid, unrestricted Arizona Class "B" Commercial Driver License (CDL).Â Water assignment requires with air brake and hazmat endorsement; Wastewater assignment requires with no air brake restriction, if applicable.Â As a condition of continued employment, an individual of this classification must maintain a valid Arizona Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements, and will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing, as required by law.
- Must possess, or obtain within one year of hire â€" 40 hour HAZWOPER certification.
- Must possess, or obtain within one year of hire a general backflow device tester in the State of Arizona.
Water - Must possess or obtain a Grade I operator certification within oneÂyear of hire or promotion from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality within the disciplines of Water Treatment or Water Distribution.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
This position requires satisfactory results of a pre-employment drug screen and a pre-employment physical that includes an audiogram and pulmonary/respiratory function test.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Water system operations, methods, procedures, principles and related mechanical components.
- Microsoft Office products and other relevant technologies.
- Maintain, repair and diagnose any problem affecting the entire water system; perform mechanical repairs, service and repair pumps and motors.
- Prioritize schedule and work tasks and complete work within specified time periods and deadlines.
- Provide thoughtful and thorough analysis.
- Listen, communicate and work effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Proficiently perform computerized word processing, comprehension, summarizing and writing/editing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, supervisors and the general public.
- Complete OSHA/safety training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintains pumps, piping, tanks, valves, switches, diesel and natural gas generators at City water and wastewater treatment plants along with well sites, booster stations,Â reservoirs and sewer lift stations.
- Performs maintenance and control work on chlorination equipment, pump control valves, various pressure control valves; adjusts system to meet specific demands; replaces pump packing and mechanical seals; repairs hydrostatic drives for pumps; repairs and troubleshoots air compressors and vacuum pumps; maintains voltage and oil supply in the City's pumps and auxiliary equipment.
- Installs and makes repairs on water lines, valves, sewage stations and other components of pump stations.
- Performs construction and fabrication at work sites.
- Investigates complaints regarding loss of water pressure and quality of water and makes necessary adjustments; takes water samples and performs quality tests on water complaints; and responds to water related emergencies.
- Adjusts telemetry system to meet water usage demands; makes program adjustment on main computer for telemetry system.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Moderate exposure to dust, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes and unpleasant odors.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Operate motor vehicle to travel to/from various locations.
- Work rotating weekend shifts, holidays and a call-out schedule.
Click Here to view the entire job description.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Luis G.Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top