Wastewater Collections Operator
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
This position performs journeyman level work associated with the operation and maintenance of a large complex wastewater collection system. This includes all aspects of the operation and maintenance of 1,400 miles of sewer pipe, 30 sewer lift stations and 5 large pump stations, in addition to all mechanical maintenance aspects of related equipment. Work assignments are carried out without detailed instruction or guidance.
This postinghas been changed to Open Continuous;based on the needs of the City, it will be open until filled.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Drug Screen
- Respirator Physical/Pulmonary Function Test
- Motor Vehicle Record Check
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
Successful candidates may be hired at a salary up to midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience and internal equity.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
- A High School diploma or General Education Development (GED) equivalent.
- Three years of experience in the operation and maintenance of large, complex, wastewater collection systems that includes multiple pump stations, heavy duty pump maintenance, equipment related to odor mitigation systems, combination hydro/jetter cleaning truck and associated equipment; two years of which include welding and piping fabrication at a journeyman's level.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of sewer force main systems that include sophisticated pumping arrangements.
- Experience with advanced computerized systems utilized in wastewater collection works.
- Experience in mechanical and electrical trouble shooting.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Must possess upon hire or promotion, and maintain a Grade2 operator certification from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) within the discipline of Wastewater Collections.
- Must obtain, and maintain,a valid, unrestricted Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) with tanker endorsement within 6 months of hire or promotion.
- Must obtain certification as a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) user within 6 months of hire or promotion.
- Must obtain certification as a general backflow tester within the State of Arizona within 6 months of hire or promotion.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
Scottsdale Wateralso offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program for those employees who obtain certifications above what is required of their positions. The department recognizes the intrinsic value of operator certifications and the added value to the city of having a workforce that possess them. Essential Functions
- Performs maintenance associated with the wastewater collection system. Including the heavy duty maintenance and repair of small and large submersible pumps, sewer mains, air release valves and sewer services including the repair of residential sewer laterals.
- Maintains pumps, tanks, switches, diesel and natural gas generators at City sewer lift stations large sewer pumpback stations, sewer wetwells, and odor control sites. Performs maintenance and control work on odor mitigation equipment, various pressure control devices and adjusts the system to meet specific demands.
- Acts as a first responder to sanitary sewer overflows (SSO's) within the wastewater collection system to prevent undesirable environmental impacts to the community.
- Operates a high velocity combination hydro/jetter sewer cleaning truck; adjusts manhole covers and performs main line sewer repairs.
- Performs construction and fabrication at work sites.
- Adjusts telemetry system to meet wastewater generation and conveyance demands.
- Repairs and maintains all types of valves, pumps and equipment, including hydrogen sulfide mitigation systems, electric and hydraulic valves, blowers and fans.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Potential for exposure to hazardous chemical feed and storage systems and below grade infrastructure containing high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas.
- Moves and lifts up to50 lbs. both short and long distances.
- Moderate exposure to dust, noise, and inclement weather and temperature extremes.
- Travels to/from various locations.
- May work rotating weekend shifts and a call-out schedule.
To view the entire job description click here.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top