Solid Waste Customer Service & Outreach Manager
Based on the needs of the City, this posting has been extended one week; it closes on Thursday, September 28, 2017.
The Solid Waste Customer Service & Outreach Manager is responsible for planning and overseeing administrative office operations and services. The incumbent may perform a wide variety of technical and specialized administrative duties which support overall departmental functions. This position is also responsible for developing, implementing, and promoting integrated solid waste and recycling outreach programs to achieve the department's goals and objectives.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate inthe selection process, to includea panel interview.
Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- 39 month Motor Vehicle Records check
- Drug Test
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Five years of experience in a similar capacity in a related field.
- Must have at least one year of Lead or Supervisory experience.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
- Develops and implements systems to improve service(s) and processes.
- Supervises complex records management and retention systems and resolves discrepancies in records and reports and follows up as necessary.
- Conducts research by gathering data from various sources and preparing various reports and compilations to include Council action reports, MIS reports, meeting minutes and other management related reports.
- Develops, administers, justifies and monitors budgets for related work areas.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the strategic marketing, public relations and public education functions of the department to increase the recycling diversion rate and achieve department goals and objectives.
- Communicates verbally and in writing with the general public, other City employees, community and civic organizations, school organizations, business owners and vendors in order to coordinate a program, disseminate information and provide assistance.
- Produces written documents using clearly organized thoughts, proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar in order to educate the public, prepare comprehensive reports and make presentations.
- Interprets and provides an explanation of departmental rules, City Ordinances and program guidelines to the public.
- Designs, writes and edits a variety of printed materials including brochures, flyers, newsletters, press releases, reports, community notification letters and other marketing and promotional materials.
- Operates a motor vehicle to attend meetings, make presentations to community groups and conduct site visits and research.
- Conducts research and analyzes data to help determine types of offerings, target communication more effectively, and improve customer relations.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, telephone,calculator, and copier and fax machines requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
To view the entire job description click here.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top