Senior Traffic Engineer
Performs highly technical professional engineering work in the Traffic Engineering group of the Transportation Department. The position will also work with our Traffic Management Center staff to assist in the developmentÂofÂtraffic signal timing and address other operational issues.ÂThis is a non-supervisory position.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
ÂBased on the needs of the City, the posting has been re-opened.ÂÂ Next review of applications will be January 16.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institutionÂ in Traffic Engineering, Civil Engineering or a closely related field and
- Six years related experience in a traffic engineering environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
- Registration as an engineer by the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration, OR by the technical boardÂof another state, with the ability to obtain Arizona Registration within 12 months of employment..
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Studies and analyzes major operational traffic issues and recommends innovative solutions.
- Translates technical material into a language easily understood by the public.
- Acts as the project manager for a variety of projects.
- Apprises stakeholders of changes in national standards, local standards, shifts in citizen attitudes and provides advice regarding program integration.
- Makes presentations and represents the City in public, Transportation Commission and City Council meetings on matters relating to Traffic Engineering.
- Responds to citizen requests for traffic signal warrant studies, speed limit studies, left-turn warrant studies and other studies relating to traffic flow and congestion.
- Participates in accident analysis, capacity improvement project reviews, traffic control planning, school traffic safety and policy planning efforts.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation.Â Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top