Pool Manager, Assistant
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
Assistant Pool Managers assist Pool Managers to operate and manage four City swimming pool facilities, and supervise staff to maximize safety, customer service, and community involvement through aquatic programs and activities. Assistant Pool Managers work various hours, typically ranging from 5:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., and must be available to work any day of the week (including certain holidays).
Selection Process:Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Fingerprinting (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Drug Screening
This recruitment process will be used to fill temporary, part-time positions at all four aquatic centers as needed.
Work schedules vary depending on the needs of the aquatic center, and typically require some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
The starting rate of pay for new employees is $13.34 per hour.
Please list all lifeguard certifications and licenses in theCertificates and Licensesfield on the application.
Click herefor information on pool locations.
Click herefor information on becoming a lifeguard. Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to oneseason (3-6 months) aquatic experience as a Lifeguard and Certified Swim Instructor.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to the start date.
- Must possess current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid and Water instructor Certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard and Starfish Swim Instructor certifications. Current certifications must be shown at the time of interviews.
- Candidates must successfully pass an OSHA-required respirator physical within 45 calendar days of hire or promotion, and annually thereafter.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Assigns and posts staff to duty areas; observes performance of staff.
- Schedules staff and assists with staff performance evaluation process with the Pool Manager.
- Checks for proper maintenance and performs a variety of daily maintenance duties, which includes but is not limited to vacuuming,backwashing, equipment maintenance and repair and management of hazardous chemicals for water treatment.
- Plans, organizes and conducts special pool facility events.
- Performs the duties of a Lifeguard and Cashier as needed.
- Develops and gives in-service training programs for the staff.
- Enforces pool rules and regulations.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Climb up/down ladder to lifeguard chair; sit in stationary lifeguard chair for long periods of time maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding pool deck area.
- Move around on deck to make observations.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Lift dead weight usually exceeding 50 pounds.
- Exposure to the sun, dust, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, pool chemicals, chemically treated pool water and direct exposure to the sun.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
- Act quickly and calmly in emergencies; administer first aid and CPR; perform rescue actions.
- Coordinate movement of more than one limb simultaneously.
- Lift arms above shoulder level.
Click hereto review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Maintenance Worker III
Working hand-in-hand with the Recreation Department, Ron and his Maintenance Team care for the city’s parks, preparing for events and maintaining the beauty that Scottsdale is renowned for.
Back to top