Plans Examiner Sr
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east.Â Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
The Plans Examiner Sr. performs technical reviews of all phases of residential and commercial plans and reports to determine compliance with applicable codes and guidelines.Â They will assist architects, contractors, and the public, in person and over the phone, with inquiries regarding civil plans examination matters.Â May serve as a team leader in coordinating multidisciplinary plan review activities.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview.Â Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal background screening or the past 7 years
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience
- Current national certification as a Plans Examiner with three years recent experience with civil plan reviewÂor fire/life safety plan review, or
- A Bachelor's degree inÂCivil Engineering, or closely related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
- Depending on assignment,a national certification as a Plans Examiner must be obtained within one year of employment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Community & Economic DevelopmentÂ(CED)Âassignment:
- Performs computations in the assessment of code compliance.
- Identifies inadequacies found on construction documents and specifications.
- Evaluates the suitability of materials and methods of construction for compliance with construction codes.
- Participates in site visits to evaluate issues, identify potential problems, and suggest corrective measures.
- Participates in the process of reviewing existing codes to resolve issues and accommodate new materials or design concepts.
- Responds to questions, submitted by the public, related to construction codes and regulations, engineering standards, and City policies and procedures.
- Conducts and attends meetings with developers, owners, architects and engineers.
- Monitors the workload of Plan Examiners as needed.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.Â Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a normal City office environment, with occasional work performed outdoors on site moving over rough terrain.
- Exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes and unpleasant but not hazardous odors.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation.Â Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top