- Scottsdale, AZ
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
About The Position
Lifeguards and swim instructors provide supervision and instruction to various age groups in swimming and diving activities, and ensure the safety of patrons in the swimming area. Lifeguards and swim instructors also may be assigned cashier duties. As the result of a City-mandated ordinance, lifeguards will be expected to wear facial coverings and/or masks while on duty.
Please note: Due to this position being part-time, the classification is unclassified, meaning it is at-will and serves at the discretion of the City.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and a skills assessment. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Fingerprinting (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Drug Screening
Lifeguards/Cashiers must be at least 15 years of age at time of hire. Instructors must be at least 16 years of age at time of hire.
This recruitment process will be used to fill part-time positions at all four aquatic centers as needed.
The starting rate of pay is $12.24 per hour; additional compensation may be applied dependent upon years of experience and/or certifications.
It is imperative to list all valid lifeguard certifications and licenses in the Certificates and Licenses field on the application; expired certifications and/or incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the hiring manager for consideration.
Click here for information on pool locations.
Click here for information on becoming a lifeguard.
Applicants who do not have a lifeguard certification are required to successfully complete the StarGuard Lifeguard Certification class to be eligible to apply. The City of Scottsdale offers this class and registration is required.
Click here to register for StarGuard Lifeguard Class and Starfish Swim Instructor Class.
Education and Experience:
- Lifeguard: Must be a minimum of 15 years of age at the time of hire.
- Instructor: Must be a minimum of 16 years of age at the time of hire.
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to the start date.
- Current certifications must be shown at the time of interviews.
- The Parks, Recreation and Human Services Department enforces dress and appearance standards related to uniform, clothing, displaying tattoos, visible pierced body parts, hair color, and style.
- Lifeguard must possess current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid and American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard Certification.
- Instructor must possess a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification or Starfish Swim Instructor certification, current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid, and a current American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard Certification.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Operates cash register, accurately handles cash, follows prescribed cash handling procedures.
- Moves and stands to observe swimmers in the pool and on the pool deck for accidents occurring in the water, on the deck, or on the diving equipment.
- Enforces policies, rules, regulations, and ordinances governing the conduct of people using the swimming pool and pool deck area.
- Performs rescue and administers artificial respiration, CPR, and first aid.
- Demonstrates skills and helps class participants learn to swim.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a swimming pool environment with occasional work performed in a fitness center, outdoor park, or office environment.
- Sit in stationary lifeguard chair for long periods of time and moves around on deck to make observations.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Observe swimmers in and around the pool.
- Lift dead weight usually exceeding 100 pounds.
- Exposure to the sun, pool chemicals, dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Work in chemically treated swimming pool water and in direct sunlight.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
- Lift arms above shoulder level.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Back to top