Lifeguard, Head - Aquatics
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
Head Lifeguards assist Assistant Pool Managers to operate and manage our City swimming pool facilities, and supervise staff to maximize safety, customer service, and community involvement through aquatic programs and activities. Head Lifeguards work various hours, typically ranging from 5:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., and must work any day of the week (including certain holidays).
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and a skills assessment. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Fingerprinting (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Drug Screening
This recruitment process will be used to fill temporary, part-time positions at all four aquatic centers as needed.
The starting rate of pay for new employees is $12.10 per hour.
Please list all lifeguard certifications and licenses in the Certificates and Licenses field on the application.
Click here for information on pool locations.
Click here for information on becoming a lifeguard.
Applicants who do not have a lifeguard certification are required to successfully complete the StarGuard Lifeguard Certification class to be eligible to apply. The City of Scottsdale offers this class and registration is required.
Click here to register for StarGuard Lifeguard Class and Starfish Swim Instructor Class. Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to one season (3-6 months) aquatic experience as a Lifeguard and Certified Swim Instructor.
- Must be a minimum of 16 years of age at the time of hire.
Licensing and Other Requirements:
- Requires current StarGuard Lifeguard and Starfish Swim Instructor Certifications OR current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, which includes First Aid/CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, American Red Cross Water Instructor certifications .
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to the start date.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. (See essential functions). Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Assigns staff to duty areas; observes performance of staff.
- Checks for proper maintenance and performs a variety of daily maintenance duties which includes, but is not limited to, vacuuming, backwashing, equipment maintenance and repair, and management of hazardous chemicals for water treatment.
- Performs duties of a Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, and Cashier as needed.
- Participates with in-service training and in-service meetings with the staff.
- Enforces pool rules and regulations.
- Performs rescues and administers artificial respiration, CPR and First Aid.
- Serves as team or projects lead on operational projects and/or various safety programs.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a swimming pool environment, fitness center, outdoor park or office environment.
- Climb up/down ladder to lifeguard chair; sit in stationary lifeguard chair for long periods of time maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding pool deck area.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Lift dead weight usually exceeding 50 pounds.
- Exposure to the sun, dust, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, pool chemicals, chemically treated pool water and direct exposure to the sun.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
- Coordinate movement of more than one limb simultaneously.
- Lift arms above shoulder level.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top