Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
This position serves to provide a variety of library support functions within the Circulation Department at the Civic Center Library. The ideal candidate for the position will have exceptional customer service skills and exhibit courteous professional behavior. The majority of the work-day is spent dealing directly with library patrons both in person and by phone. The schedule for this position requires flexibility and will include some nights and rotating weekends.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED)equivalent, two years college work, and any combination of training and experience equivalent to one year recent public contact experience resolving various levels of customer service needs.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Provides exceptional customer service in a courteous, professional manner at Library Check Out, Customer Service, Triage, Call Center, Drive-up window, Library Operations, and Roves in accordance with CREST (Customers Receive Exceptional Service Today), the Scottsdale Way, and City Values.
- Performs various library work functions on the library computer system.
- Issues library cards by inputting information into computer.
- Accurately processes cash, check, and credit card payments for overdue fines, Library Shop merchandise, and other miscellaneous costs.
- Accurately checks library materials in and out, withdraws materials, and suppresses materials in the library catalog.
- Works with customers to assist with self check circulation, Call Center, Triage, and/or Drive up Service Window or other service points to answer questions.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bends, stoops, and lifts arms above shoulder to lift, move, and shelve books and other library materials.
- Stacks books on carts. Pushes heavy cart weighing up to 300 pounds across library.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop, and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
- Works at public service points and roves, which requires staff members to be on their feet for up to several hours at a time.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Maintenance Worker III
Working hand-in-hand with the Recreation Department, Ron and his Maintenance Team care for the city’s parks, preparing for events and maintaining the beauty that Scottsdale is renowned for.
Back to top