Equipment Operator I
Performs manual labor picking up brush and other debris on a sanitation route and/or repair and place refuse and recycling containers.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the standards of this position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include an oral board interview and may include a hands-on skills assessment, so all interviews must be in-person.
Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Criminal Background Screening
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Pre-employment Drug Screen
Note: This recruitment will be used to create an eligibility list.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Six months of manual labor experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Must possess within six months of hire date a Class "A" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brake endorsement and will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as required by law.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area, which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Works on an established sanitation route manually picking up brush, branches, and other uncontained trash from the City's alleys and streets.
- Loads brush into rear-loading trucks and compacts it.
- Cleans areas using rake, shovel, pitchfork, and/or broom.
- Repairs refuse/recycling containers.
- Replaces damaged residential refuse/recycling containers and delivers containers to new residents.
- Operates a motor vehicle requiring a ClassÂA CDL with air brake endorsement.
- Performs simple maintenance on equipment. Assists Equipment Operator II in performing daily pre and post flight CDL equipment check.
- Drives truck on a relief and training basis.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Reach overhead, bend, and stoop repeatedly; climb up and down ladders; work in rough, uneven alleys.
- Lift and move up to 60 pounds or more on a continuous basis.
- Visual, muscular, and manual dexterity in order to service equipment; use a rake, shovel, pitchfork and/or broom; perform manual labor on an on-going basis: to operate equipment, two-way radio, common hand tools (such as hammer, saw, screwdriver, etc.), and computer.
- Work with paints, deodorizers, cleansers, or similar solutions.
- Seldom sedentary and includes walking or moving, pushing, bending, stooping, lifting, and reaching; sometimes involves climbing elevations.
- Exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Removal of dead animals from City right-of-way and streets.
- Operate trucks and equipment skillfully and safely.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations.
- Work holidays, weekends, and special events as needed.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
ÂEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation.Â Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Meet Some of City of Scottsdale, AZ's Employees
Sr. IT Technician
Luis supports the entire city staff with technical issue resolution across hardware and software, including the data center, and maintains the network infrastructure for the city.
Back to top