Technical Support Specialist - Water Dept.
- Philadelphia, PA
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs
Benefits - We care about your well being
The Office of Innovation and Technology (OIT) oversees most major technology projects for the City of Philadelphia (CoP), ensures continuity of the City's technology operations, and finds new ways to help the public interact meaningfully with technology. OIT uses technology to help City employees do their work better and helps residents get what they need from municipal government.
The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) is responsible for the processing and treatment of drinking water, waste water, and storm water in the City of Philadelphia. PWD employs approximately 2200 people across 16 sites throughout the City.
The Technical Support Specialist works as part of a highly collaborative group that’s responsible for installation, configuration, and management of desktop and laptop computer systems. In addition to providing desktop support, you will participate in projects such as our ongoing Active Directory migration and multi-factor authentication rollout that require the Technical Support Specialist to learn new technologies and provide support for the creation of new processes for the team. The Technical Support Specialist will report to the Water Information Center Manager.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to increase their technical knowledge and abilities while at the same time using that knowledge to positively impact services for Philadelphia residents.
- Provide 1st tier support to customers
- Answer help desk calls and create tickets in incident tracking system documenting support requests
- Resolve assigned support tickets while keeping end user informed of the status of their request
- Provide support to remote facilities using both remote tools and traveling to various facilities
- Respond to end user inquiries by phone\email\chat
- Create clear and detailed documentation
- Explain technical issues to end users
- Troubleshoot issues with Windows operating systems, printers, and installed software
- Configure laptops and desktops by installing operating system and updating needed drivers and firmware.
- Create and deploy images for laptops and desktops.
- Install software
- Determine technical issues to escalate to tier 2 & tier 3 to support customers
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A+ Certification
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Excellent communication skills to translate technical language to non-technical personnel and customers
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to meet multiple competing deadlines
- Ability to overcome obstacles to customer solutions to satisfy customers
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- MS Office and other PC software
- Adobe Acrobat
- Web Browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox)
- Windows desktop operating systems
- Software licensing
- Remote Desktop
- VPN Software
- High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of PC hardware & A+ certification
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a Desktop Support role
- NOTE: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) Certification (Windows 10) or an associate degree in Information Technology or Computer Technology can be substituted for any of the above experience
- Must have a valid PA Driver’s License and the ability to lift 50 lbs.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available.
The Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to faqpchr @phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx
Back to top