DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Innovation Consultant works with City departments, officials, and community leaders to develop new and inventive ways to improve customer service and operations in the City.
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY INNOVATIONS
- Serve as primary point of contact for a variety of external relationships, including educational institutions, community organizations, and sector and membership associations
- Coordinate City-sponsored external innovation activities (Hackathons, Unconferences, City Innovation Meetups, National Day of Civic Hacking, Tech Street Houston, etc.)
- Conduct, analyze, and report on public policy research in fields related to government innovation
- Represent the City at innovation events in the Houston community
- Lead and participate in technology innovation projects with internal and external project team members and stakeholders
- Lead and participate in evaluation, requirements-gathering, and design of workflow, processes, various operations systems, etc.
- Design and implement innovative technological solutions and systems for improvement to City services and operations
PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT, DATA ANALYSIS, AND TECHNOLOGY
Compile and clean data, produce information, and interpret results through conclusion or recommendation formulation. Develop reports, special documents, or publications as assigned
Use Excel formulas and pivot tables to perform semi-complex to complex analysis
Manage financial and operational performance dashboards and reports for consumption by the Mayor, City Council, Departments and the public
Track, analyze and evaluate key performance indicators, performing root cause analysis where problems exist and facilitate the formulation of solutions with front-line staff, subject matter experts and management
Identify and implement technological solutions and systems for continuous improvement programs and other appropriate applications
Serve as an unofficial liaison between business users and IT experts on the projects assigned
PROCESS IMPROVEMENTS AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Lead and support department and enterprise-level process improvements
Identify opportunities for improvement to current processes by performing both quantitative and qualitative analysis
Participate and lead in evaluation, requirements gathering and design of workflow, processes, various operations systems, etc.
Master process improvement methodology and best practices in data analysis and change management
Analyze and review management practices and procedures and develop recommendations for improvement
Outline and addresses issues and risks impacting ongoing projects and escalate as deemed necessary to Management
Complete special projects as assigned, working on a wide variety of financial, administrative, professional, management and community issues and problems of simple to high complexity
Interface with various City departments, external private vendors, and other governmental entities to gain access to data or information about current work processes
May participate in creation and review of RFPs and RFIs
Handle highly confidential information
May be asked to manage social media/external communication
Negotiate solutions for problems of simple to medium complexity as assigned by supervisor.
Outline and address issues and risks impacting ongoing projects and escalate as deemed necessary to supervisor
Perform other duties and special projects as requested
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field directly related to the type of work being performed.
Graduate degrees related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the experience requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Three (3) years of professional administrative, financial or analytical experience related to the type of work being performed are required
Professional buying experience may substitute for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Preferences will be given candidates with:
- An MBA, MPA, MPP, or Master's Degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- Prior public sector or public policy experience is preferred
- SQL and/or Access database skills is a plus
- Experience with Tableau is a plus
- Experience with SAP is a plus
- Lean Six Sigma training and certifications are a plus
- Knowledge and experience with Performance Management methodologies and scorecards is a plus.
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
$55,000.00 - $72,500.00
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Meet Some of City of Houston's Employees
Deputy Assistant Director Of Finance
Jesse tackles innovation within the City of Houston first-hand. Jesse works to find problems in the city's operations and empowers its employees to find data-driven solutions to these challenges.
Back to top