PN #20142 TRANSACTIONAL REAL ESTATE PARALEGAL POSITION
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The City of Houston Legal Department strives to provide the highest quality municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees in the most efficient manner feasible through adherence to the following guiding principles:
• Quality & Service - Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients
• Partnership & Teamwork - Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City's goals
• Integrity & Candor - Acting with a commitment to honesty and ethical behavior
• Dignity & Diversity - Demonstrating esteem for the worth of each individual
• Innovation & Imagination - Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City's objectives
Comprised of over 100 of Houston's finest attorneys across ten sections, the Legal Department has the pivotal role of providing litigation support, negotiating and drafting contracts, handling taxation matters, advising on personnel actions, dealing with the acquisition of sale of City property, overseeing City elections, drafting ordinances, advising on ethics and conflicts of interest, and dealing with neighborhood protection and quality of life issues. Every employee is committed to the Department's motto - "Service Through Law."
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department seeks a skilled, energetic, team-oriented Paralegal who is self-motivated and can work independently on various transactional real estate assignments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Processing inquiries from the public and various City of Houston departments related to City of Houston real property.
- Actively engaging with attorneys to assist in the drafting, reviewing, and processing of various real estate documents including deeds, easements, purchase and sale agreements, and other real estate conveyance documents.
- Reviewing various databases to ensure the proper execution of documents.
- Regularly communicating with various client departments to provide status updates and request additional information.
- Facilitating the processing of documents to obtain various signatures.
- Performing title review and drafting documents related to City permitting.
- Opening and closing files.
- Working in Word, Outlook, Excel, and other software programs.
Requires a high school diploma or a GED certificate; above average academic performance and paralegal or legal assistant certificate are preferred.
Requires at least five years of transactional real estate paralegal experience.
Must have a valid Driver's License.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
• Excellent communication skills.
• Experience working with multiple attorneys on transactional real estate matters.
• Excellent drafting skills.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Familiarity with municipal or public law.
Eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6 are preferred
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED:None
However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov . To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 393-6214.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information. If you need special services or accommodations, please call TTY 7-1-1.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
See Inside the Office of City of Houston
The City of Houston is no ordinary municipality. With a diverse and growing populace, the City of Houston has learned how to innovate like a tech company—even crowdsourcing data on potholes and hosting annual Hackathons. With a focus on data, learning, and results, the City of Houston gives the public sector a 21st century gleam.
Back to top