IT PROJECT MANAGER
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Posting Number: PN# 20257
Division: DIRECTOR'S OFFICE
Section: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Reporting Location: 611 Walker St
Workdays & Hours: M-F; 8am - 5 pm
Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Assists in planning and managing the development and implementation of large information systems for the City; manages technology projects from inception and project definition to implementation and post-implementation operational support. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Oversees all project management phases, such as project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and controlling and project closure.
- Manages and defines the scope of a project including integration opportunities, interface requirements, feasibility, costs, schedule projections, and risk analysis.
- Develops and manages project teams, assigns resources, develops status reports and ensures compliance with requirements.
- Communicates the implementation strategy to diverse groups of technical and non-technical personnel.
- Responsible for maintaining customer expectations by delivering IT projects within the agreed-upon scope, schedule and budget.
- Manages and prepares budgets and plans for all resources required for the projects, including personnel, equipment, applications, services, communications equipment, software and any ongoing systems support. Work with procurement teams to ensure project spending conforms to City procurement standards and guidelines.
- Manages vendor(s) selection; manages contract negotiations. Monitors project budgets and plans, ensuring quality and timeliness of project deliverables; communicates issues and status as required for successful completion.
- Coordinates transition of completed project to service operations support teams.
- Must exhibit exceptional verbal and written communication skills
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
This is a Department of Houston Public Works Emergency Management Position at the Tier 2 Level.
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, Mathematics, or closely related field preferred.
Six years of progressively responsible experience in the area of information systems, with two of the years in a supervisory capacity, are required.
Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
A Valid Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston's policy on driving.
Preference will be given to applicants with customer service experience in a business collaboration environment. Current, valid PMP certification from Project Management Institute (PMI) is required. A comprehensive understanding of ITIL practices and processes is preferred.
*Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED: None
However, the department may administer a skills assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 28
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or please call 832.393.6027.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, with specific instructions, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information. If you need special services or accommodations call TTY 7-1-1.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Back to top