An IT Architect is needed in the Houston Information Technology Services Department!
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The IT Application Architect within the HITS Enterprise Application Service Division is responsible for:
- Provides technical oversight and direction for integrating new technology or major new mission capabilities into the application, metadata and data standards and structures.
- Primary Planner for new application designs that incorporate existing database structures, ensuring effective application integration and optimal database, application, and hardware performance.
- Conduct code reviews, design reviews, and mentors various development teams.
- Providing extensive technical, strategic advice and guidance to senior HITS managers and technical resources in the creation and implementation of applications and the associated data standards and databases.
- Researches industry trends and directions in technology and tools; develop and presents substantive technical recommendations to senior management.
- Provides advanced technical direction to the maintenance of existing applications supporting the business.
- Maintain an understanding of the HITS service catalog and capabilities, reference and participate in developing white papers.
- Provides complete assessments of the technical characteristics of proposals and alternatives considered to optimize application and database performance.
- Overseeing the design, evaluation, selection, implementation and support of application technologies, hardware, databases and metadata structures.
- Reviewing and evaluating application, hardware, database performance, risk and financial analysis feasibility studies.
- Leads in the overall design of cross-functional, multi-platform, and Web-based application systems; oversees all application system processes.
- Engage on multiple initiatives simultaneously, work closely with the development staff to articulate requirements, clearly define scope and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Develop and manage a traceability matrix linking requirements to capabilities.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment. Significant time spent using computer display, keyboard, and mouse.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management and Information Systems (MIS) or a closely related field. Holds multiple applications-specific technical certifications; recognized as having mastery of a particular technical discipline. A Master's degree in Computer Science, Management and Information Systems (MIS) or a closely related field may be substituted for up to two (2) years of experience.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
At least ten (10) years of specialized experience in application systems analysis and development.
Must have extensive and diverse hands-on experience in .NET, C+, JAVA.
SQL development experience (MS SQL, MySQL)
Experience in designing and building for mobile enabled platform (native and responsive web design) is a must. Mobile development for iPhone, Android, HTML5, or tablets
Expert knowledge and experience with application architectures and design (SOA, REST, SOAP, etc).
Demonstrated expertise with modern development languages and Programming frameworks.
Experience with cloud technologies, providers and application design considerations (Azure and AWS).
Success implementing application monitoring and instrumentation to ensure reliability.
Demonstrated knowledge of IT Security best practices and integration with application authentication, authorization, access control lists and Single Sign On.
Have exposure in broad spectrum of architecture in areas such as performance and scalability, availability, security, messaging, and authentication.
Ability to serve as system expert and "go-to" person for teammates
Defines and ensures standards for technology and business process are established
Collaborates with project managers to obtain needed resources for required tasks
Professional experience managing projects and development with agile software development methodologies, automated testing, and shared services design.
Strong understanding of Virtual Architectures and corresponding storage environments.
Experience with Emergency/Disaster Recovery Planning for IT Datacenters.
* Demonstrate a working understanding of The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) and application integration
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
The salary range is: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00 Annually
Back to top