DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Construction Manager
Applications accepted from:All Persons Interested
PN#20267 DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Construction Manager
Workdays & Hours:Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm
Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston's Department of Housing and Community Development (HCDD) seeks to create a city in which every resident has an affordable home in a community where they can thrive. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD seeks to strengthen Houston's neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor's vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout. Since Hurricane Harvey, HCDD is managing more than one billion dollars that are dedicated to helping low and moderate-income families recover.
To achieve our vision, HCDD is seeking a Deputy Assistant Director (Construction Manager) to join its team. In this position, you will manage the construction section of the Disaster Recovery (DR) division and will be responsible for oversight of all disaster recovery rehabilitation and construction projects. The person in this position will ensure families recovering from the flooding caused by Harvey can return to safe and quality homes. This position will report to the Assistant Director of Recovery and Public Services and will work collaboratively with other project staff and contractor teams.
- Develops short and mid-range goals to meet deadlines and achieve long-term outcomes set for the program
- Hires, leads, develops, supports and retains a team of high performing project managers and inspectors
- Manages, coordinates and directs the entire construction team working on disaster recovery projects
- Oversees and tracks progress on all construction projects and reports project/program status to senior management and key stakeholders
- Oversees the scheduling of all construction team resources to allow for effective and efficient project completion
- Manages and communicates project pipeline to ensure continuity of active projects
- Manages construction costs, identifying trends and proposing solutions to ensure cost efficiencies
- Ensures an efficient system to:
- Coordinate activities and mediate disputes between contractors and applicants by participating in design review, pre-construction and in-progress construction meetings as needed
- Perform or review scope adjustments using Xactimate per program policies and HUD guidelines
- Verify that current construction projects are in compliance with program specifications via site inspections and review of construction documents
- Monitor implementation and compliance of OSHA and HCDD safety policies
- Document daily activities and communications using multiple software platforms
- Assist with coordination and execution of utility and service shut-downs and start-ups
- Ensure all electronic construction files and project tracking mechanisms are up-to-date and accurate
- Provides construction oversight and technical advice by reviewing project documents, including, but not limited to: construction scopes of work, design development and drawings, contracts, bid specifications and documents, contract development and management, construction scheduling and inspections, contractor invoices and disbursements
- Identifies scope items for punch-lists and performs routine site visits as required
- Serves as subject matter expert on construction matters
- Develops relationships with key internal/external customers to identify emerging needs
- Works with training manager to develop training for all construction section staff
- Tracks close-out issues
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Reliable: Assumes additional responsibilities while maintaining punctuality and results
- Detail-Oriented: Brings the highest level of attentiveness to all work
- Driven: Shows initiative and a willingness to take ownership of assignments and go the extra mile
- Leadership: Manages teams to keep them motivated, focused and effective
This is a grant funded position subject to cancelation when funds are depleted and/or contract period ends.
This position requires stooping, bending, and/or lifting of items with occasional periods of walking on rough surfaces. There are occasional discomforts from exposure to moderate heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpleasant air conditions.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Building Science, Architecture, Engineering or field closely related to construction or construction management.Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Seven years of progressive professional experience closely related toresidential construction, home building, and/or home renovation are required, with at least three of those years in a supervisory capacity.
A Master's degree in Building Science, Architecture, Engineering or field closely related to construction or construction management may be substituted for two years of experience.
Valid Texas Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Preference will be given to candidates with:
- Ten or more years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of local codes, zoning requirements and building standards
- A technical/professional background in QA/QC, engineering, architecture, construction management or similar fields
- The ability to perform a site inspection to build residential scope of work and estimate associated costs per HUD guidelines, local codes and zoning requirements
- The ability to read/interpret design documents and construction drawings
- The ability to explain construction requirements to applicants not familiar with construction
- Experience with community and economic development, public administration, CDBG/HUD programs, FEMA, and/or other disaster recovery programs
- Residential and/or vertical construction experience, including single-family, multi-family, high-rise residential or commercial buildings
- CCM or PMP certification and/or a Texas PE license
- Experience with specialized software such as Xactimate, MS Project, and/or other disaster management products
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office software suite including but not limited to MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and the ability to learn new software to complete project requirements
- The ability to multitask and complete work assignments independently with minimal supervision/guidance
- Effective oral, listening, and written communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
Bilingual applicants and Section 3 residents in the Houston area (in accordance with Section 3 of the HUD Act of 1968) will receive an additional preference.
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None; however, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 30
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov. To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm .For application status inquiries please contact(832) 393-6069.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, with specific instructions, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call TTY 7-1-1.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
See Inside the Office of City of Houston
The City of Houston is no ordinary municipality. With a diverse and growing populace, the City of Houston has learned how to innovate like a tech company—even crowdsourcing data on potholes and hosting annual Hackathons. With a focus on data, learning, and results, the City of Houston gives the public sector a 21st century gleam.
Back to top