DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV)
- Houston, TX
PN# 20259: DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Department Fiscal Administrator
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Workdays & Hours: M - F, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Subject to change
Reporting directly to the Finance Director, this position is responsible for managing and/or coordinating client department's financial operations. Develops finance organizational strategies by contributing financial accounting information, analysis and recommendations. Coordinate with client department's operating staff and central Finance to provide a holistic and complete view of the organizations financial standing. Exercise direct supervision over assigned staff.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Directs staff in the development and administration of budgetary (operating and capital) and fiscal operations.
- Acts in a fiduciary capacity for all financial and accounting activities to include financial reporting, grants management, budgeting and forecasting, capital project planning, procurement and accounts payable/receivable.
- Coordinates the preparation of the annual budget and monitors the budget to ensure it reflects proper fund levels, expenditures, revenues, and develops corrective action plans when warranted.
- Coordinates and serves as liaison with other departments, divisions, and outside groups having an interest in financial matters.
- Develops and coordinates the financial impact for client departments agenda items.
- Prepares and/or coordinates the completion of ad-hoc/special projects as directed by the Finance Director and/or client department's Director as requested.
- Develop financial models (long and short term) for key cost drivers and revenue generating activities.
- Provide monthly and quarterly financial reports on the financial status of client department(s).
The position is physically comfortable, the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, BusinessAdministration or a closely related field.
Seven years of professional experience in finance, economics, budget analysis or closely related field with at least three years in a supervisory capacity.
A Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, BusinessAdministration or a closely related field may be substituted for two years of experience.
Requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston's policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Preference will be give to applicants that possess the following attributes:
- Lead with Integrity - Cultivates a reputation of doing the right things for the right reasons; makes sure that completed staff work is done and refuses to cut corners; works well with others at all levels of the organization.
- Financial Reporting - Takes the time and effort to make sure that the information provided is accurate, timely, and meets regulatory requirements.
- Budgeting and Forward Planning - Looks for trends that may affect the future of the department.
- Problem-Solving Skills - Provides solutions to problems and suggestions for implementing the administration's vision and goals.
- Ask Questions - Possesses a natural curiosity and the ability get beyond the status quo to look at new ways a task can be done.
Preference will also be given to applicants that possess:
- Knowledge of governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of governmental/fund accounting.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of planning and research principles, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate complex accounting and financial problems, documents, and reports.
- Ability to provide administrative and professional leadership and direction to subordinate staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIREDNone.
However, the Department may administer a skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
This position is not subject to random drug testing if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
SALARY INFORMATIONGENERAL FUND POSITION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 30
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov. To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm .For application status inquiries please contact(832) 393-6069.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, with specific instructions, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call TTY 7-1-1.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Back to top